Body Image: It’s What’s Inside That Counts

Hi friends.

I read this great post over at Psych Central about body image and I thought I’d share what I learned with you. Because, let’s be honest, most women have at least some issue with their bodies. Let’s start with an exercise:

Raise your hand if you’d like to have a body like this:

Jennifer Aniston

or this:

NS2

or this:

NS4

Good. Now, I’m going to list some different types of people. Mentally check off which you’d like to be when you “grow up.”

• Someone who thinks of others over themselves
  • A good listener
  • The laughing stock of America
  • Someone who’s dependable
  • An honest person
  • Dumped by the true love of your life
  • A humanitarian
  • A regular at rehab
  • The person everyone loves

Okay, everyone ready?

Because there’s a good reason I showed you decapitated women.

So…

Did anyone check The laughing stock of America?

Paris Hiltonsource

What about Dumped by the true love of your life?

Jennifer Anistonsource

Or A regular at rehab?

Lindsay Lohansource

The point of this exercise is to prove what you already know in terms of your friends and family: It’s inner beauty that counts. We don’t pick our friends because they’re pretty or skinny, we pick them because we enjoy spending time with them. They make us laugh, stick with us through hard times, are honest and reliable.

Yes, outer beauty comes into play at the beginning of a relationship. To say otherwise would be a lie. (Though honestly, do you want to be with someone who’s only in it because you’re hot?) Most (lasting) relationships are built on more than good looks. Do you want a boyfriend/girlfriend whose best merit is his face? Or body? Don’t you also value a sense of humor, some intelligence, et cetera, et cetera?

That’s what other people look for in you, too. (Unless there’s someone out there who really does pick friends based on hotness quotient. In which case, I’m sure you also use the word fetch. Tip: That’s so last year.)

Think about this: Who do you admire? And why?

How do you want people to think about you?

1 Heather C { 06.08.11 at 10:27 am }

I used to be so caught up in the whole my weight = my worth thing and it is a fruitless and empty place to reside. Unfortunately, I think women are sort of taught to be negative about their physical selves. We are good at talking to each other about what we hate but if you went up to a group of women and said, “I think I look hot today” you would have some people looking at you like you just said you like to eat babies for breakfast. Men have no problem with this but as women we are taught to bash ourselves and feeling good about ourselves is not something that is well reinforced.

Now, I still want to be healthy and look good but I also know that I am more than a number on the scale and I would rather be measured by the person I am, the part I can control, than my mother’s pear shape I inherited or my number on the scale.

“If you went up to a group of women and said, “I think I look hot today” you would have some people looking at you like you just said you like to eat babies for breakfast.”

This is very true. Of course, I guess it depends on your tone. It’s kind of like announcing “I’m so smart.” It can come off in a very stuck-up way.

2 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 06.08.11 at 10:34 am }

It always seems perfection (ish) never comes in one area without another part of your life lacking. Funny how that works…

When it comes to outlook on life and body image and overall “I think you’re kind of cool and would like to hang out”, I’d probably go with Reese Witherspoon. However, she too has dealt with plenty of public and personal disasters…

I love her, too. But, yeah, her life has sucked too. I guess everyone’s life sucks in a way.

3 Clarissa { 06.08.11 at 11:14 am }

Great post!! I try not to look like a celebrity, because all that effort just isn’t worth it! And I’ve learned that people love me for who I am, not what I look like. I think I could put more effort into my appearance (ahem, I dress like I’m still 17 and never wear make-up). But hey! I like to be comfortable!! Of course I was blessed with being on the small side, but that didn’t stop me from having a disordered relationship with my weight for years…today I just want to FEEL better!

“today I just want to FEEL better!”

And THAT is the best thing there is, way better than beauty or smarts. :)

4 Sophie @ threetimesf { 06.08.11 at 4:26 pm }

Very interesting and clever post – made me consider a few things!

Thanks, Sophie!

5 Michelle { 06.08.11 at 7:09 pm }

Have to admit Paris Hilton has nice legs! Lol. That said, I would trade nice legs for a happy, drama-free life (fortunately, I don’t have to!).

The “grass isn’t always greener” is cliche, but it’s true, especially when you start comparing yourself to celebrities!

I admire my kids teachers, my friends that are teachers, people who dedicate their lives to other people – whether it be through charity or just helping others. I guess you could say I admire people with compassion because not everyone has enough of it! I want people to think I am compassionate and caring – and that I’m fun to be around.

6 nance { 06.08.11 at 7:12 pm }

I admire you….your growing into a very wise woman. Perfection is an illusion and will just drive you crazy. Contentment….now there’s a goal.

7 Maren { 06.08.11 at 10:59 pm }

I admire my mother. She does not care one bit about her looks. She is not skinny or fat. She’s not tall or short. She’s not ugly…she’s beautiful. And she barely wears an ounce of make-up (just a tish of mascara. darn blonde eye lashes!!). And she has raised me the same. When I first met my boyfriend, he said, “I bet you get up every morning and look in the mirror and say, ‘damn, I’m sexy’”. And it’s just because I have so much confidence! My mom really has taught me to stand up for myself and not care what others think of my looks…or what I think of my looks. She always told me that I’m beautiful just the way I am and I am so grateful for that.

Sorry for the novel!! haha

I want people to think that I am a confident, kind person. Not pretty or ugly..fat or skinny. It’s all about how you feel on the inside!

8 birdie to be { 06.09.11 at 3:25 pm }

I love jennifer aniston! She is a doll

9 elaine! { 06.09.11 at 5:04 pm }

I don’t know if I’d want their bodies as much as their clothes… I don’t care what junk I’ve got in my trunk, if I had their wardrobe budget I’d look like a million bucks 24/7!

10 Ameena { 06.09.11 at 5:09 pm }

Very cool post. I love how you structured this!

The truth is that once I feel like I have my outside under control (e.g. my hair, my contact lenses!, my clothes, etc.) then, and only then do I feel like I can be my best on the inside. It’s sad but true.

I admire and love Gwyneth Paltrow because she is beautiful on the outside but she seems like an amazing person on the inside as well.

11 Sheri { 06.09.11 at 6:28 pm }

What a great post!!! Very creative and gets the point across!

12 Bick { 06.09.11 at 6:44 pm }

Thanks for this post! For several months, I have been fighting the PushMePullYou battle inside my head regarding my weight/body image/fitness level. Next month I retire from a 35-year full-time nursing career. Yea! I will have to find something to keep a jingle in my pocket, but one of my priorities will be getting fit for my old age. That and knocking other things off my bucket list.

BTW, thanks for the so much for the I’m (not) Superhuman stickers! They rock almost as much as you do. :-)