Snack Time

Chocolate goji berries

Hey look, it’s Monday.

Hey look, I’m not moping about, wishing I could rewind to Friday at 5 p.m. In other words:

I’m on vacation.

That’s right. Since I’ve only taken one day off this year and since I have a lot of days left to use before I lose ’em on January 1, 2011, I’m taking a few mini vacations over the next few months.

(If you’re wondering, The Man isn’t as lucky. The poor guy has to work this week. And that’s why I’m really on a staycation—I’ll still be at home.)

Knowing that I was going to be off this week made the weekend even better. I didn’t have any of that Monday dread that usually creeps into my Sunday.

Aside from mass cleaning (which resulted in my most favorite of all favorite clean things: fresh sheets), The Man and I ran a bunch of errands.

That included a failed trip to DSW. Apparently trying to find sandals in October is a silly idea. (Note to Tracey: You’re the only freak who wants strappy open-toed shoes for winter.) I forsee an online project for my week of idleness.

We also made homemade popcorn (and proceeded to eat the entire batch, but that’s another story). It’s ridiculously simple and even The Man—he who considers orange cheese popcorn the height of snacking delicacy—said it’s the best popcorn he’s ever eaten.

Homemade Popcorn

Instead of butter, we used ¼ cup olive oil. Then we popped ¾ cup kernels. And finished with sea salt. We shook a cup with Old Bay seasoning for The Man (I think the stuff is gross, a fact that has his Baltimore-based family considering disowning me) and cinnamon and sugar for me. Still, the simple salt and olive oil won out. Stored in an airtight container, it stays crunchy for at least one day. After that … well, you can guess what happened.

Homemade Popcorn Close-up

Aside from eating my weight in popcorn, I’ve been stuffing my face with dark chocolate–covered goji berries, which I got at Vitamin Shoppe when I was buying smaller vitamin C pills that won’t lodge in my esophagus.

Goji package

My reasons for gorging are these:

1. Goji berries are healthy.

2. Dark chocolate is healthy.

3. Dark chocolate–coverd goji berries must be healthy times two.

Goji berry

I can make myself believe whatever I want. It’s a skill. So if you are looking for a healthy-healthy snack, I highly recommend these. They taste like extra-chewy Raisinets.

With that, I’m off to stuff more Gojiets in my face. (It’s vacation, after all.)

What’s your favorite healthy (or “healthy”) snack? Ever tried chocolate-covered goji berries? And if you make your own popcorn, what varieties are your favorite? I’m going to say olive oil and sea salt tops my list, but next time I might get crazy and try lime or something.

1 Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) { 10.25.10 at 8:42 am }

I adore popcorn! It’s comfort food for me. Most of the time I love just topping it with sea salt and sometimes I add red pepper flakes–cause I’m spicy like that!

2 katie { 10.25.10 at 9:18 am }

wow choc covered goji berries! sounds like major power food!! i LOVE dairy as a snack- like cottage cheese or yogurt!

3 Heather C { 10.25.10 at 9:39 am }

The dark choc covered goji berries sound delish. Of course, you could put dark chocolate on Chuck Wagon and I would eat it. My favorite healthy snack is sugar snap peas. Love the crunch and the little bit of sweetness and the fact that I can eat a pile of them and consume only like 40 calories in the process.

I second the snap peas. (And, strangely, I found myself nodding to your comment. Thank goodness I’m alone.)

Wei-Wei Reply:

I am now thinking I need to get myself some of those sugar snap peas…

4 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 10.25.10 at 9:59 am }

Enjoy your staycation! I’m having one Wednesday. Thank god.

Wasn’t there a trend of open-toed boots last year? I feel like I saw them everywhere. Is that acceptable? Or still too much covered on the feet? Just a thought…

5 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie { 10.25.10 at 10:00 am }

I actually really enjoy tomatoes heavily seasoned with salt and lightly dusted with pepper. I like to think this is a truly healthy snack. But I also convince myself regularly that nachos are healthy because they contain multiple food groups.

6 kate { 10.25.10 at 10:17 am }

Have a fantastic break this week! I cant believe youve only had one day off this whole year!

7 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun { 10.25.10 at 10:40 am }

Oh, how nice! Enjoy your time off. My husband used to have so many days saved up to take off at his old job bec he had so much vacation time. Since he switched a year and a half ago he doesn’t get as much time off. I miss that.

8 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin { 10.25.10 at 10:56 am }

Those dark chocolate covered goji berries look awesome! I love having popcorn as a snack with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, or else making some caramel from butter and sugar to drizzle over it if I’m feeling fancy.

That’s it, I’m making that next time. Mmm…caramel corn.

9 Jamie @ Food in Real Life { 10.25.10 at 11:10 am }

That popcorn looks great! I love chocolate covered raisins, so I bet I’d love those goji berries. Seems like the same texture mix that I adore. My favorite healthy snack is probably greek yogurt.

10 Heather @ Side of Sneakers { 10.25.10 at 11:10 am }

My almost-Baltimore-based family would consider disowning you as well for not liking Old Bay. ;) Happy stay-cation!

11 UrbanSolstice { 10.25.10 at 11:11 am }

You should try flavouring the olive oil before you pop the kernels in it. I like doing a rosemary infused oil, and then topping the popcorn with parmesan cheese.

12 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 10.25.10 at 11:13 am }

I’ve had dried gogi berries before… but never chocolate covered! Sounds awesome!

13 Heather (Heather's Dish) { 10.25.10 at 11:57 am }

i’m a huge fan of chocolate-covered pomegranate seeds. my mouth is watering just thinking about them right now!

14 Bekah @ runtrackmind { 10.25.10 at 12:26 pm }

Your post opening today so reminds me of me. I have that looming Monday dread feeling too. In a few weeks I will be off from work for a total of 9 days (of course this includes weekends) and I can’t wait! Enjoy your time off.

15 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey { 10.25.10 at 12:33 pm }

You’re so lucky to be on a staycation this week! I am JEALOUS!

16 Nichole { 10.25.10 at 12:57 pm }

GOOD for you! You deserve some vaca time:) Take it easy.

Goji berries, no, but Acai berries in dark chocolate, yes! :)

17 Shanna, Like Banana { 10.25.10 at 1:59 pm }

I think lime and popcorn sounds fabulous…truly fabulous!

I like snacking on cereal for something healthy ;)

18 Tweets that mention Snack Time — i'm (not) superhuman -- Topsy.com { 10.25.10 at 4:36 pm }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by KimK, Tracey Neithercott. Tracey Neithercott said: New post: Snack time! Chocolate-covered goji berries and homemade popcorn. http://bit.ly/c7Sp7W [...]

19 gio { 10.25.10 at 4:53 pm }

chocolate covered anything is good. well…. so is anything fried. oops. wrong blog.

20 Becca { 10.25.10 at 5:02 pm }

Oh bless you! Have you considered buying chewable vitamins?

Favourite “healthy” snack is definitely cashews. They’re particularly yummy when they’re seasoned with something spicy – it really works with the sweetness!

I haven’t tried goji berries. Honestly I’m always a bit miffed by how much health food stores charge for the latest thing, and they just don’t look juicy enough to lure me away from dried cherries and pineapple or – best of all – physalis!

They’re definitely not juicy, but seriously good despite that.

21 charlotte { 10.25.10 at 5:08 pm }

Freaky internet coincidence for the day: When I opened up your post to read it I was – seriously – eating homemade popcorn and chocolate covered acai berries. So the berries are a little different but isn’t that crazy?

We’re so totally on the same wavelength here.

22 Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels { 10.25.10 at 8:53 pm }

How is it possible you’ve only taken one day off this year?? Maybe you ARE superhuman! :)

23 Kat { 10.25.10 at 10:10 pm }

Mmmm…my favorite “Healthy” indulgence is oven fries. For sure. I can’t even help myself, really.

24 Jane { 10.26.10 at 1:03 am }

my fiancé got those gogi berries for us on one of our first dates. He’s been bugging me to get them again but all I can find in the yogurt covered version, which doesn’t compare.

25 Misy Miller { 10.27.10 at 3:47 pm }

Oh, but popcorn!

I have a dry-hot air popper that IO put in the microwave.
One of my fave combos is parmesan cheese and rosemary ….
and salt and pep, natch.

And nutritional yeast on popciorn (well anything, really).

I’m totally trying rosemary-Parmesan. Yum!

26 Nicole { 10.28.10 at 10:59 pm }

My mom would eat redhots in her popcorn (yuk), but I do enjoy the taste of cinnamon on popcorn.

I’d probably toss a few of the choco gojis in mine too…