In Which I Bake My Cereal

DSC_0004

I generally don’t eat cereal from Monday through Friday. Those days are reserved for oatmeal, and as much as I’ve gone through periods of being completely sick of it (you know, like when I swore it off for good—I thought) it’s really the best weekday option.

Because I will not wake up even two minutes earlier to make breakfast at home. Because I’m sleep deprived. And I’m a very good sleeper.

Where was I? Oh, right—my teenage-like sleep tendencies. And the fact that it’s all oatmeal all the time during the week. But on the weekends? I crave cereal. The cold stuff, skim milk. Somehow it’s like a treat, which sounds really pathetic.

For the past four or so months, I’ve made this ritual cereal combo: Half a bowl of Puffins, half a bowl of Uncle Sam.

I love both, so I was excited when Uncle Sam asked if I wanted to share the love.

They were all, Hey, wanna give a box to your readers?

And I was all, Heck yeah, because maybe they can make their own cereal combo.

They were all, Sweet, hold a contest will ya?

And I was all, Of course. Sounds like fun.

I also decided to cook with it because A. why not, and B. I had the remainders of a box just sitting around and I wanted to use it up before breaking into the brand spankin’ new box Uncle Sam sent over. (Don’t tell me I’m the only one who likes new stuff that sparkles and all.)

Chaos ensued.

Not really. This ensued:

DSC_0036

That’s soy sauce. One tablespoon.

DSC_0063

That’s honey. Two tablespoons.

DSC_0070

This is The Man whisking away.

DSC_0082

And this is the chicken soaking up the sauce.

DSC_0086

Look, now we’re shake ‘n’ baking in Uncle Sam cereal. Oooh, ahhh, flaxseeds. I love that part.

DSC_0090

This is the cereal-coated chicken, topped with almonds because almonds makes everything better.

DSC_0002

Oh, and see? It’s all cooked. And delicious.

So, who wants a box? I’ll tell Uncle Sam to send you one for the price of a comment. Tell me what cereal you’d combine with Uncle Sam to make the Ultimate Bowl of Cereal.

1 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 09.30.10 at 8:28 am }

My favorite cereal of all time is Frosted Mini-Wheats! I’d mix Uncle Sams with that :)

2 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 09.30.10 at 9:20 am }

Oh damns! I liked the way I did my Uncle Sam’s breading, but I am a little disappointed I talked myself out of using a honey kind of glaze. I was afraid it would burn. Obviously I was wrong. Because that looks awesome.

3 UrbanSolstice { 09.30.10 at 9:41 am }

Perhaps this is one of those ‘lives-in-Canada’ moments, but what is Uncle Sam’s cereal?

Good question. Here’s a link to the cereal, and I just added the link to the post. Thanks for the reminder!

UrbanSolstice Reply:

That looks pretty tasty. This is my favourite cereal.

Now that must be a Canadian thing, because I’ve never seen it before. And it has the words repeated in French, which is, in my opinion, super cool.

4 Heather C { 09.30.10 at 9:50 am }

I have never heard of Uncle Sam but I love Puffins. I also love Quaker’s oatmeal squares or Kashi’s toasted berry crumble with vanilla soymilk. So yummy. So I guess I would combine Uncle Sam with any of those, if I knew what it was. :)

5 Ashley S { 09.30.10 at 10:23 am }

Peanutbutter puffins for sho!

6 Wei-Wei { 09.30.10 at 10:36 am }

There are so many things that you can dredge meat in before baking, it’s insane! I’ve never thought of using cereal, but hey, it makes sense…

7 Cynthia { 09.30.10 at 11:10 am }

I would just mix it up with some granola and milk:) yum!

8 Lauren { 09.30.10 at 11:10 am }

I used to love Uncle Sam’s when I was younger. We can’t get it in Canada, so whenever I went to the U.S I would stock up. I also used to always mix different types of cereals (usually three or more). My favorite blend included a little bit of All Bran buds, Uncle Sam, a bit of brown rice crisps (Nature’s Path), and a touch of home made granola. I haven’t had cereal in so long…but I’m craving it now! It’s a treat for me as well.

9 Melissa Miller { 09.30.10 at 12:56 pm }

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy…..I LOVE Uncle Sam’s Cereal. It is one of only three that are on my meal plan.

I am so excited for the idea to cook it up … **the song “a whole new world” is running through my head right now thank you very much**

I would no doubrt mix the berry uncle Sam with plain old Fiber One and then just go nuts with the toppings. (0:

~Missy

That just totally made my day. :)

10 Maren { 09.30.10 at 1:14 pm }

Cereal for dinner? YES PLEASE!!! That looks like an awesomely amazing creation. Currently, I am mixing Kashi GoLean Crisp with Kashi Honey Sunshine, so I think I would replace the Uncle Sam’s with the GoLean Crisp! I am loving the Honey Sunshine right now….it kind of reminds me of Captain Crunch! haha

I love those. They remind me of Cap’n Crunch, too!

11 Tweets that mention In Which I Bake My Cereal — i'm (not) superhuman -- Topsy.com { 09.30.10 at 1:58 pm }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tracey Neithercott, Tracey Neithercott. Tracey Neithercott said: In which I bake my cereal. (And give something to you for free. Wee!) http://bit.ly/bdKp4c [...]

12 Shanna, like Banana { 09.30.10 at 2:12 pm }

That chicky bake looks GREAT! I should have done that with my Uncle Sam cereal…I just made cookies with and used it as yogurt filler too!

I like the cookies idea. I bet that would be really good.

13 Erin { 09.30.10 at 3:58 pm }

Life cereal!

14 Diane Fit to the Finish { 09.30.10 at 4:22 pm }

That looks amazing! I love seeing how creative bloggers are!

15 Ameena { 09.30.10 at 4:49 pm }

Maya would combine Cheerios with the Uncle Sam’s cereal she is going win…I can’t eat it obviously. But I feel qualified to answer for her. And enter for her. :)

16 Wren { 09.30.10 at 6:04 pm }

MmmmmMMMMM! I’ve gotta try your recipe! And if I get that box of Uncle Sam? I’ll mix it with crushed Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal, pour soy milk over it, eat and bliss out. :o )

17 AlaskanAlison { 09.30.10 at 6:17 pm }

I’ve never heard of Uncle Sam, so I’m not sure what a good combo would be. I’m going to assume Cocoa Puffs because really what doesn’t go with Cocoa Puffs??

18 Kat { 09.30.10 at 9:41 pm }

That breading looks fantastic! I think I’d mix it with dried blueberries. Or if I was feeling snack-y, mini-marshmallows and chocolate chips.

Sorry for partying.

19 Stefanie @thenewhealthy { 10.01.10 at 1:51 am }

I absolutely loved your post over at Healthy Living Blogs! My blog is not even a month old and I completely obsessed the first week. Okay, make that the first few weeks. I still check all-the-time! But I’m learning!

Thanks! I think your blog looks great, so the obsession was worth it! Now take a breather. ;)

20 Gracie @ Girl Meets Life { 10.01.10 at 10:07 am }

Awesome idea. I love a good crunch on the outside of my chicken, but that can be tough to do without a deep frier. I would’ve never thought to use cereal!

Also – I love Uncle Sam’s cereal. I was wary to try it because I read how other bloggers said they didn’t like it, but I think it’s great! Not to sweet, and it actually fills me up (unlike most other cereals). Clearly I’m too late to enter this contest, though. Boo!

It’s definitely filling. I think by itself it might be a bit plain, but mixed with something sweet like Puffins I really like it. And, yeah, the contest was of the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it variety.

21 Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle { 10.01.10 at 10:31 am }

OMG this looks absolutely amazing!! What a great idea!!!!

22 BIOCHEMISTA { 10.02.10 at 12:34 am }

This looks so good!!!

23 Things Worth Celebrating « Second City Randomness… { 10.15.10 at 8:57 am }

[...] If you remember, I did a review of  Uncle Sam’s cereal a few weeks ago.  I had considered doing some sort of honey glaze, but went a different route with the breaded parmesan.  This was amazing, but then Tracey left me drooling over what she came up with.  [...]