What You Do

Tracey SleepingThis is what you look like every day. Minus the bed. And minus the closed eyes. All other signs of sleepiness are there, plastered to your face.

There are several things that happen when your husband takes a great job in a far away land (in D.C. speak, that’s anywhere further than 10 miles) and you only have one car. One of those is that he becomes cheery and excited about his new job. You like that part. The other is that you wake each morning at an hour no human should be awake. Honestly, I’m not even sure non-humans—vampires, zombies and the like—are awake at that hour.

From there, your days go something like this:

1. Contemplate showering.
  2. Wonder if anyone will notice your third-day hair.
  3. Decide to shower.
  4. Curse the fact that people see you daily.
  5. Go to work. Stare at your computer screen.
  6. Wonder if your eyes can really focus so early in the morning.
  7. Let your mind wander.
  8. Realize you don’t remember how to write a cursive I.
  9. Realize how pointless cursive is.
  10. Wish you didn’t waste fourth grade learning cursive.
  11. Wish you spent that time saving up sleep instead.
  12. Wonder why you took trig, too.
  13. Realize trig was even more pointless than cursive.
  14. Contemplate coffee.
  15. Wish Starbucks delivered.
  16. Give up on coffee. You’re too tired.
  17. Work way too many hours.
  18. Wish The Man didn’t hit an hour of traffic on his way home.
  19. Wish someone invented hovercrafts.
  20. Wonder why The Jettsons was created in 1962 and it’s still futuristic.
  21. Think about how much time you’d save tonight if you could press a food button instead of cooking a meal.
  22. Cook a meal.
  23. Consider hiring a chef—to clean up dinner.
  24. Clean up dinner. Dread what comes next.
  25. Make breakfast and lunch for tomorrow.
  26. Flop onto the bed and will the clock to turn back two hours.
  27. Sleep.
  28. Do it all over again.

Which is why I’m so excited—no, more than that—it’s Friday. And I can relax, and unwind. And pretend I don’t have five 11-hour days ahead of me next week.

I’m not alone, am I?

1 Samantha @ Food Edu { 06.11.10 at 9:40 am }

I know how you feel—-sometimes its just the same thing everday: long hours, exhaustion, no time to even talk..Have a good weekend Tracey–enjoy yourself, you deserve it!

2 Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly { 06.11.10 at 9:53 am }

You are too cute! Keith and I have been waking up at 4:30 every morning for so long that I don’t even notice it anymore. But I can’t stay out late…whenever we go out I try so hard to make it past 10:00!

4:30? That should be illegal. Just killing, I’m insanely jealous you can do that and then function for the rest of the day. You’re my hero.

3 Nichole { 06.11.10 at 10:24 am }

OK #19 is legit, I just know it. And as for Starbucks delivery, um genius! But I bet a cup would cost $10 w/ 13% gratuity, blerg.

Friday is, the most fabulous day!

First off, there are days when I’d pay $10 for coffee. There, I said it. Second, maybe they could offer group discounts for office buildings too far to go out on a whim but that have a large order to place. I’m sure I could scrounge up 12 other co-workers to order bulk with me. OK Starbucks, I’m ready for you to call and congratulate my brilliance.

4 Wei-Wei { 06.11.10 at 10:41 am }

Man, I feel you… school goes the same way, sometimes. But now it’s summer, and I feel sort of startled at my sudden lack of schedule… maybe it’s time to start learning how to live. Happy Friday! Go do something out of the ordinary this weekend. :D

Wei-Wei

5 Elizabeth { 06.11.10 at 12:03 pm }

oh wow. could not relate more.

I just moved to the DC area (meaning: got here last Tuesday, started job last Wednesday) and the commute boggles me. I need to travel to Fairfax, so about 12 miles from where I’m living. With no car.

So basically I spend 2 hours of every day switching between buses&metro, and that’s having found the quickest possible route. blech.

at least it isn’t really summer yet! I can still enjoy being outdoors, right? at least until the 95 degree 90% humidity days start setting in…

Welcome to DC! It’s it funny that 12 miles can take so long? It blew my mind when I moved here two years ago. I lived 15 miles from work and had a two-hour commute. Lovely.

6 Madeline - Greens and Jeans { 06.11.10 at 12:11 pm }

I would pay SO much money for Starbucks delivery some days!

7 Diane Fit to the Finish { 06.11.10 at 12:12 pm }

We lived in DC for 18 months and lived in Fredericksburg, VA. My hubby commuted up to DC and we both got up at 4:30! Some days my whole day is spent waiting for the next one, which isn’t much different than the first one.

Glad it’s Friday.

Fredericksburg to DC? Yikes, that’s a ROUGH commute.

8 Sarah { 06.11.10 at 4:13 pm }

Ugh. Do you have a public transportation option like the Metro? I used to work 12+ hour days every day. Now thankfully those days are mostly over.

9 R @ learningasichop.wordpress.com { 06.11.10 at 5:37 pm }

What a great photo! And I know what you mean about hiring a chef just to do the clean-up

10 Lauren @ She's a Runner { 06.11.10 at 5:41 pm }

My days are surprisingly similar to yours, except:
1. I don’t sleep
2. I don’t have a man to wake me up but even if I did, see #1.
I definitely have wished that I didn’t waste that precious time in childhood trying to learn cursive, which is stupid and I never use it. (My signature is not really cursive, it is my initials in a big squiggle. I thought it to be elegant when I first created it in 4th grade. Now people make fun of me.)
Also, very clever observation about the Jettson’s…never really thought of that! I guess 2010 isn’t far enough into the future for all of those contraptions. Maybe the whole robot thing is going to happen later. You never know…

11 Ameena { 06.11.10 at 11:38 pm }

I feel your pain sister! I often feel like I do the same thing day after day. I also wonder why I was required to take trig and learn cursive since I can no longer do either, nor do I have a reason to do either.

BTW, did you get my email about meeting up July 13 or 14 in DC? I sent it a few days ago. Hope we can figure something out, even with your crazy schedule. Maybe even coffee?

12 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) { 06.14.10 at 5:03 am }

Man I loved this post. You are definitely not alone. And I wish that Starbucks delivered all the time, too. Preferably 24 hours.