Anna Paquin
photo from self

I’m glad you guys liked my story of how I stalked met The Man. You know, there’s a lot to be said for making the first move. I’m extremely shy and a total introvert, but I’m glad I put myself out there. Otherwise, who would be doing my grocery shopping and heavy lifting right now? (Dear The Man: That was a joke.) Seriously though, it works.

Also on that topic but kind of not, tomorrow is my four-year anniversary with The Man. (Incidentally, it’s also my mother’s birthday. We like to keep things easy in this family and group celebrations together.)

So, four years. I’m old. Don’t even remind me that it’s my 10-year high school reunion this year. Crap, now I feel even older.

Anyhow, tomorrow. Right, tomorrow there will be much celebration going on here on the blog. Consider yourself warned.

Now to what I really wanted to say when I opened this bright and clean document: Sometimes celebrities make me want to roll my eyes. Most of the time. But every so often an Anna Paquin comes along that makes it all right again.

I got the latest issue of Self in the mail this week and flipped to the interview with Anna Paquin. The girl’s adorable and really slim. And you know what? She’s not a liar. She told the magazine she eats lots of fruits and vegetables to keep her body in that shape. She also said she works her butt off (probably quite literally) to stay in shape.

Finally a celebrity admits they work hard to look that way. Unlike others—nudge, nudge Cameron Diaz—who claim to drink beers and eat burgers on a nightly basis. I guess I just have a good metabolism, they giggle. Here’s the thing: I have a good metabolism. Really good. But I still eat well and exercise. It’s not a good metabolism that turns regular humans into celebrity sticks. No, it’s lack of calories, lots of exercise. Maybe some illegal drugs, but you know—what happens in rehab stays in rehab. (And US Weekly.)

I’m so sick of reading articles where the celebrity orders a burger or pizza or stuffs her face in macaroni and cheese just for the interview. As if we didn’t know they saved up an entire week’s worth of calories for that very hour.

Needless to say, I appreciate Anna Paquin’s honesty. The end.

What are your thoughts on celebs’ supposed non-diets?

1 FoodFitnessFreshair { 06.23.10 at 8:39 am }

I can guarantee that almost all celebrities that look cute and fit work their butts off big time. Cameron Diaz boasting about eating burgers probably means she’ll indulge in a burger once every other month. The camera packs ten pounds on you…no way they’re not dieting and exercising.

2 Lindsay { 06.23.10 at 8:57 am }

Ahhhh my ten year reunion is this weekend! I have a hard time believing the celebs who say they eat junk and don’t excercise! First of all…it’s rare for someone to literally be able to eat whatever they want and stay tiny with no excercise and those people don’t usually brag to the nation about it.

3 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self { 06.23.10 at 9:01 am }

I don’t subscribe to SELF anymore, but I think I would have appreciated this story. I too find myself rolling my eyes when celebrities claim that all they have to do to stay fit and trim is light exercise, coupled with lots of pizza and beer. We all know that’s not true!!!

4 Nichole { 06.23.10 at 9:21 am }

For real. I mean their j-o-b is to look good and that’s why they have the best trainers and personal chefs along the way. If it’s hard for even a celeb to work hard, you know what us normal folk go through. I appreciate anyone who admits they have to seriously work at it to stay in shape.

An issue of Shape mag this year had AnnaLynne McCord on the cover and she totally giggled that it was easy for her to stay thin. MMMhmm.

5 Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly { 06.23.10 at 9:24 am }

TOTALLY agree…I hate it when I see stick thin models say they eat whatever they want. Bull SH*T! I love honesty when it comes to actresses struggling to look good in Hollywood. I like when they admit it is hard because it makes the ordinary people feel less like failures because they can’t eat cheesburgers every night and never workout and be a size 2. You know who else I like is Padma Lakshmi (the Top Chef host) because I have read some interveiws with her on how it is difficult to stay slim while working on Top Chef and how she does struggle with it. I love that honesty!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday Reply:

I hate Padma. She’s so bitchy and pretentious on that show. It can’t be hard for her to stay slim on the show since she always seems to dislike the food that’s put in front of her.
Also, I think she’s too slim. Did you see the episode where the chefs had to make breakfast in bed for her and Nigella Lawson? Nigella is gorgeous and Padma looked like a cancer patient next to her in bed.

Rant over.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly Reply:

Wow! I did see that episode and I didn’t think that at all. But to each their own right?

6 Meg { 06.23.10 at 9:35 am }

I just got introduced to your blog (totally impressed by your making the first move with your man!) and I completely appreciate you sharing this. Between all of the airbrushing they do on celebrities and their coyness (not sure if that’s a word– oh well) about how they really stay thin, it’s nice to hear that YES they work their butt off. Why should they not take credit for how hard they bust their butt? I’m definitely proud of myself when I know I’ve been putting the energy into good workouts and eating well.

Glad you found my blog–welcome! And, yes, why not be proud?!

7 Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) { 06.23.10 at 9:43 am }

I just read that article in SELF the other day too and couldn’t agree more. It was refreshing to see that she tries to eat healthy and exercise. :D

8 Wei-Wei { 06.23.10 at 9:54 am }

…..really? All the celebrities featured in health magazines have sworn that they eat healthy and exercise with personal trainers. I personally haven’t seen anybody saying they eat burgers and drink beer. :S Maybe I’ve just been reading too many health magazines? ;) (They do seem to say the same thing over and over again, though.)

Wei-Wei

9 Nicole, RD { 06.23.10 at 9:57 am }

She’s stunning :) Yeah, just because you’re rich and famous…you can’t buy a metabolism. Trust me, I’d have been selling my plasma since birth to afford it. I think celebs have a lot that makes it easier to control weight — as in money, chefs, trainers, and the weight of the world’s eyes HAWKING over your every move. That’s motivation and accountability, I’d say. But yeah, Diaz is a lying moron :)

10 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers { 06.23.10 at 10:06 am }

Happy almost-anniversary to you & The Man. :)

I loved this post & totally agree about celebs. I can buy that some of them are genetically blessed, but I think it’s much more likely that they’re following a pretty strict food & exercise regimen. It’s nice to hear one finally admit to that!

11 Heather C { 06.23.10 at 10:07 am }

I always have a good laugh anytime a workout magazine features a celebrity “workout” and “diet”. Like everyone else has said, they have personal trainers, chefs, and so on at their disposal and let’s face it, it is their livlihood to look good. I find it funny how they all claim to be “naturally” thin. Just how they all also claim to be growing old gracefully, despite being 55 with a forehead that doesn’t move. I guess in Hollywood speak, naturally means eating next to nothing with the occasional Master Cleanse thrown in.

12 Lynn @ Max in the Gym { 06.23.10 at 10:45 am }

Just found your blog and I love it! I love that you made the first move on your man :)

I just bought that issue of Self as well :) I think it’s great that she’s honest and straight up about how she keeps herself looking so fooyyyne :)

I love that you love it. :)

13 charlotte { 06.23.10 at 1:17 pm }

I am firmly in your camp on this one. I think most celebs lie like a rug about their “metabolisms”. If being chubby suddenly came into vogue overnight I bet you’d see Cameron and the rest plump up like raisins in water. It makes me giggle though – everytime I write a post like this on my blog I get tons of comments/e-mails from people saying “but I AM naturally super duper thin!!! WHYYYYY does everyone pick on MEEEEEE???” Le sigh.

14 tra { 06.23.10 at 1:51 pm }

THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS. i stopped the subscription to self a LONG ass time ago, partially because the stars’ little exercise plans and how they eat whatever they want and suddenly got 6 pack abs….didn’t make sense and did not foster good self esteem.

i don’t think it’s awesome that they lie about what they eat, and insist that people write down that she ate all her fries and MINE too. not good. if it’s not true, it shouldn’t be in print.

i like that anna fessed up. too many times women, including me, buy into the i guess i’m not blessed with an awesome metabolism…when it’s more like i’m not blessed with 50 million eyes on me making sure i stay underweight, i have personal trainers, i have personal chefs.

15 mizmode { 06.23.10 at 2:33 pm }

I bought the Self magazine with Anna on the cover because I’m a fan. And I like how she does say she eats fruits and vegetables and works hard to get the body that she does. I believe her! Most celebs I don’t believe. She’s an inspiration.

16 Lauren @ She's a Runner { 06.23.10 at 3:12 pm }

I like Anna Paquin. I’ve never seen anything that she has been in, but I like that she never “fixed” the gap between her two front teeth. She embraced the imperfection. I think that’s pretty cool. Anyway, that was off topic…
I agree that it is annoying when celebs say they eat whatever they want and I don’t believe them at all…but I also think it’s annoying when they say they “eat healthy and exercise” and then go on to describe a routine that is not really healthy. Like “I eat about 1200 calories a day and workout for at least 2 hours” when they are already at a normal weight OR underweight. 1200 calories is a diet and not enough food for the majority of people- even if they are overweight and trying to lose. It’s not enough food to fuel daily high intensity workouts and I don’t think it is healthy.

17 Tweets that mention Thank You, Anna Paquin — i'm (not) superhuman -- Topsy.com { 06.23.10 at 5:15 pm }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by The A List, Tracey Neithercott. Tracey Neithercott said: New post: Thank you, Anna Paquin! http://bit.ly/9og9Fj [...]

18 kalli@fitandfortysomething { 06.23.10 at 5:30 pm }

i am with you can’t stand it when cameron diaz says that stuff-PLEASE! happy 4 year anniversary and happy bday to your mom! lots’ of fun things to celebrate :)

19 Ameena { 06.23.10 at 6:26 pm }

I’m a little late but I loved reading the story of how you and your hubby met. Too cute. I too am pretty shy so I can imagine how hard it is to make the first move!

I totally agree on the celebs thing, although to be fair, prior to having a child (who subsequently ruined my metabolism) I could literally eat 5 burgers each night and not gain an ounce. Now that age, etc. have caught up with me, that is not possible. But a few select people really are blessed with an amazing ability to consume anything without gaining an ounce…I just don’t think it lasts forever and I don’t think that every celebrity out there can possibly be that blessed.

Happy 4th Anniversary!

20 Sarah { 06.23.10 at 6:59 pm }

Here, here! My personal favorite is Shape Magazines “How They Got That Body” featuring a celeb under the age of 25 who does minimum working out and eats fatty foods – How they got that body? Um, they’re 22? My metabolism rocked at that age too – give me the 30+ non-professional athletes, non-celebs and I’ll be impressed. Kudos to Anna for keeping it real.

21 Alex @ IEatAsphalt { 06.23.10 at 9:50 pm }

Agreed! I have a good metabolism too and would stay pretty slim without trying, but I don’t look toned and certainly don’t feel good. I don’t believe anyone when they say they dont work for their bodies. Any celeb that drinks beers and eats burgers is probably bingeing and purging. Maybe that’s harsh to say, but look at Lindsay Lohan and Britney Murphy… I’m proud to eat well, it’s going to keep me looking great even when I’m 65.

22 Diane Fit to the Finish { 06.23.10 at 10:50 pm }

I do appreciate her honesty, because the number of people who look like her and do no work is probably about .005 percent of the population. I think it’s good so that people don’t get the misconception that looks like hers just happen.