A Big Sigh of Relief

Celebration with balloonsphoto by bfick

This post has nothing to do with health—unless, of course, you count my mental health in which case this post has a lot to do with health. Namely, my sanity.

Because I like to appear somewhat mysterious to you (What are you saying—that there’s no mystery to me at all? Fine, I agree.) I haven’t written about something big going on in my personal life. No, I didn’t get asked to play Reese Witherspoon in a film about her rise to fame. (But I could! I watched The Man in the Moon many times growing up.) And, no, Oprah didn’t just call me wondering if she could deposit some money into my bank account because hers hit its limit. Though that would be cool.

Nah, it has to do with The Man and his job. Or what was his job before he got laid off a few weeks ago. Like I said—nothing like my fantasies.

Anyhow, after a minor breakdown wondering how we could pay rent with my salary only (I’m a journalist, after all) we started really tightening our belts. We’ve spent the last few weeks using up the last of our groceries, perfecting the peanut butter and jelly sandwich (I’m gagging just thinking about eating another one of those anytime soon), and dumpster diving for breakfast. Just kidding about the last one.

But in all seriousness, this was a lesson in frugality. Sure, it might have led to me begging on a street corner with a sign that read “Two bum knees. Can’t work. Please help.” Or something like that. But at least we would have curbed our eating out problem.

Thankfully, things don’t have to get that far. The Man was offered a job today. Talk about a blessing.

And with that—and no health-related news or musings—I’m off to celebrate. And, no, it will not involve pb&j. At least not today.

1 Darryl Coleman { 03.31.10 at 8:25 am }

You know, I have to tell you, I really enjoy this blog and the insight from everyone who participates. I find it to be refreshing and very informative. I wish there were more blogs like it. Anyway, I felt it was about time I posted, I

2 Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly { 03.31.10 at 8:39 am }

Congratulations to The Man and good for you guys for sticking it out and proving that you could! :)

3 Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) { 03.31.10 at 8:54 am }

I know that feeling. Celebrate hard!

4 Tweets that mention A Big Sigh of Relief — i'm (not) superhuman -- Topsy.com { 03.31.10 at 9:09 am }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tracey Neithercott. Tracey Neithercott said: Morning all! Finally I got some really good news: http://bit.ly/c2cTdu [...]

5 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 03.31.10 at 9:41 am }

Congrats to “The Man”!!! I’m happy for you both!

6 FoodFitnessFreshair { 03.31.10 at 9:41 am }

Congratulation! I’m happy for you that things worked out! Sometimes a little frugality can teach us to really appreciate the things we have.

7 Joy Manning { 03.31.10 at 9:53 am }

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been going though that but this is super good news for you both! Yay!

8 theemptynutjar { 03.31.10 at 10:46 am }

phew – your man must be relieved. i am waiting to get some crappy job that will make me so miserable — but honestly the paycheck (even if its the bottom-end of the pay-scale for my profession – that i hate!) will pay rent, gas, food,,,and i need that…in survival mode. for me, i need to start looking at the little things to be happy in life i think — like having cable, a roof, crippled legs that at least can walk, etc…got to look to something.
glad u guys are getting more stable — when i see and hear the stories of people struggling without jobs and unable to support their families, it is so so eye-opening..

9 Ameena { 03.31.10 at 12:26 pm }

Congrats to The Man! I’m really glad he found a job. And I’m glad you don’t have resign yourself to PB&J anymore. Being laid off can be so stressful.

Love Reese Witherspoon’s breakout movie. I think I saw Man in the Moon about 100 times.

10 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) { 03.31.10 at 1:02 pm }

Oh thank heavens. And how scary to be on that emotional rollercoaster. I was just about to say that I’d come over and do a trade of smoothies for PB&Js b/c I could literally eat them for the rest of my life. But not that’s not needed :-) Happy day!

11 Struggler { 03.31.10 at 2:46 pm }

Congratulations – that’s wonderful news. And kudos to you both for all the interim belt-tightening.

12 Sagan { 03.31.10 at 4:10 pm }

Hurray! Too bad I didn’t start my budgeting mini-series a little earlier for you… sounds like you knew exactly what to do though :) Enjoy your celebrations; that is SUCH a relief.

13 Diane Fit to the Finish { 03.31.10 at 4:27 pm }

You deserve to celebrate! Congratulations to the Man and to you both for making it through.

14 Nicole, RD { 03.31.10 at 6:16 pm }

Wonderful news! So glad pb&j’s are not in your foreseeable future ;)

15 Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com { 03.31.10 at 10:09 pm }

Oh congratulations to you and your husband!! I’m really happy that something came along for him, it can be so scary when you’re dealing with declining finances. I’m between jobs as we speak (or type) and I do worry. But the work always comes.
And I’d like to join you in a celebratory peanut butter and jamboree.

16 Jill { 03.31.10 at 11:39 pm }

THAT’S GREAT NEWS! I’m so happy for you two. If I lived closer I’d take you out to dinner to celebrate! (You weren’t serious about trying to fix your eating out problem, right?)

17 charlotte { 04.01.10 at 11:53 pm }

Oh wow! Congratulations!! That is such a relief. My husband was laid off about 3 years ago (I was 8 months pregnant at the time) and it took him 4 months to find another job. Those were some TENSE times. Thankfully he has an awesome job now. Enjoy that financial security!