Surviving Snowmageddon 2010

Snow and Pathphoto by ian bc north

Life as we know it is over. That’s what the two anchors on the news keep telling us at least. Ever since snow started falling on Friday afternoon, the poor newscasters assigned to Snowmaggedon coverage have been reporting ’round the clock. I don’t think they’ve even been home since Thursday night. Poor ladies.

Aside from staring out my window and snickering at the poor fools stuck in a snowbank across the street—I’m kidding!—I’ve been doing a whole lotta nothing. Which means I’ve cleaned a lot. The Man and I gave the bathroom a nice wipe down, which made my week because clean things make me happy. Like, really happy.

I made it to the gym between blizzards—when this weekend’s storm was winding down and before it started to snow on Tuesday. I even walked to the gym, a big deal for ol’ gimp here. And you know, I did pretty darn well:

The Routine

• 17 minutes on the bike. (Yeah, I was shooting for 20 but someone near me was stinking so bad I couldn’t breathe for much longer.)
  • 15 single-leg presses with 40-pound weights, repeated four times per leg. (That’s 60 presses per leg for those of you who weren’t mathletes.)
  • Achilles Tendonitis physical therapy. (Yup, still treating that.)
  • Hip adductor/abductor machine: 30 counts per move using 30 pounds
  • Walking squats with a resistance band
  • Hamstring curls on an exercise ball
  • A bunch of long and wonderful stretches. (That’s my favorite part.)

In between lounging around, cleaning, and sleeping, I made a few healthy foods. Not all—we’re still working on the junk The Man bought for Super Bowl. And a trip to the grocery store for more healthy goods is out of the question. So says the weather.

Veggie Salad

The Food
Because I’m out of lettuce, I decided to make a veggie salad. I diced red peppers, broccoli (it was frozen so I cooked it then shocked it in an ice bath so it was as cold as the rest of the veggies), radishes, cucumbers, olives, and zucchini. I mixed all the veggies with feta, a hot pepper, and a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Dijon. I served the whole veggie salad over bulgur.

And then I slapped myself on the forehead for not having an awesome camera that could snap a gorgeous photo of the meal. This lame-o iPhone one will have to do.

For breakfast one morning (I’m not sure which because these days are starting to blend together as I go mildly crazy. Think Katy Bates in Misery.) The Man and I made some steel cut oats. I cooked them—it took about a half a day in case you were curious—in a combo of skim milk and almond milk. Brilliant.

I topped my bowl with blueberries. The Man ate a banana with his. Let’s just say I let out a big sigh of relief that The Man was starting to forget about Super Bowl eating. I don’t know how much more Guy Food my stomach could handle.

Today I have two questions for you:

1. Are you also covered in snow? What have you been doing to keep from going stir-crazy?

2. What exercise do you most look forward to at the gym? Aside from stretching—which, honestly, isn’t really exercise—I love doing the leg press.

1 Kelly { 02.11.10 at 12:43 pm }

I am not covered in snow (I am in Texas) but it is really COLD here! It has been sleeting on and off all morning and I am miserable! :) At least my house is toasty…although I might SCREAM when I see my electric bill next month! :(

My favorite thing to do at the gym (aside from running on the treadmill…haha big surprise) is probably deadlifts. I LOVE feeling my hamstrings work and then being sore the next day. I have kind of a weird obesession with the backs of my legs. Don’t ask….

2 eatmovelove { 02.11.10 at 12:45 pm }

Stretching isn’t exercise??? Uh-oh….;)…haha – I don’t know what’s going on with me and my body…I managed a short walk and a bit of yoga yesterday – and feel like I’m such a cop out and all – lame – nice day here too! – but I don’t know….my past has come back to haunt me.

I love your writing style! And whoa to the Snow!! Holy Crow…that’s craziness…hope your stocked with food girl ;)

Eat Move Love–OK, you got me. Stretching is exercise, but not in my world of physical therapy. :) And, yes, we stocked up. Though I’m not sure that’s a good thing. My husband used this as his opportunity to clear our our grocery store’s junk food aisle.

3 girlxoxo { 02.11.10 at 12:54 pm }

We were snow covered yesterday but the sun is out today. Lots of tv watching, laundry & surfing the interwebs was on the agenda during the snow storm.

Fave exercise at the gym: Leg extensions & shoulder presses! Least favorite: Lunges … and any calf exercise.

Girl XOXO–Shoulder presses are a mild form of torture for me. I’m not sure why. But more power to you for enjoying them!

4 Stef { 02.11.10 at 12:57 pm }

haha i’ve definitely had to scurry away from a machine at the gym because someone’s BO was invading my space! nasty! ouch achilles tendinitis sounds really painful, hope you feel better soon! i’m not snowed in, it never snows here (san francisco bay area!)

5 Ameena { 02.11.10 at 1:07 pm }

So sorry you are snowed in…that must feel pretty frustrating. I’m not sure if I have a favorite move at the gym. I know that I HATE lunges. I love cardio but don’t really care for anything strength related, hence why I cannot tone up for the life of me!

PS – your iPhone picture is better than any of my pictures, even with a regular camera!

6 FoodFitnessFreshair { 02.11.10 at 1:10 pm }

I’ve been using the snow as an excuse to do yoga…I’m trying to go for a week straight of doing at least an hour everyday. It feels amazing! Like you, aside from stretching, I love doing biceps at the gym…it’s like the one group of arm muscles that feels good to work. By the way, because of your previous posts on pushups, I’ve been motivated lately to do some everyday…I’ve already upped it from 15 to 30 haha.

Food Fitness Fresh Air: So glad to hear my weak push-up skills inspired you! I’m amazed how many muscles a push-up uses, so way to go!

7 Amanda { 02.11.10 at 2:30 pm }

squats, push-ups and chin-ups: these are my ultimate 3 staples!! love them.
Got snow here to in T.O!

8 Yum Yucky { 02.11.10 at 4:05 pm }

You killed it on those single-leg presses. you GO!

Yum Yucky–Thanks!!

9 Gracie @ Girl Meets Health { 02.11.10 at 8:57 pm }

Hey girl! Just came across your blog. I’m sorry to hear about your knees, but major props for continuing on with a healthy lifestyle and not letting it get you down =) Such an inspiration! I noticed you do squats – doesn’t that bother your knees? Or is it good for helping them build strength? I don’t know much about it so I’m just curious =)

Hi Gracie! Thanks for checking out my blog. Typical squats are terrible for the knees, so I do a modified version created for me by my physical therapist. I use a big exercise ball behind my back to take some pressure off the knees. Then I only squat a little bit–none of those deep squats most people do. And I never, ever let my knees go over my toe line. When I do walking squats, I’m pretty much in the squat position with a resistance band around my calves, Though I’m in a squat position as I walk side-to-side, I never do a full squat, which makes it easier on my knees. Hope that helps!

10 theemptynutjar { 02.11.10 at 9:21 pm }

Hi
I found your blog through ELR’s. WHat an amazing blog. I feel u on the “used to be superhuman”….I used to be a fitness enthusiast and a runner (competitive) and health issues have reduced me to a walker only for the last year…and still going….but I must be positive.
Girl, be thankful u can move..honestly, no one ever knows what they have till they lose it.
And love that u are a writer. I want to write but have no money…and stuck in a different career with tons of debt…so..plus my confidence sucks…need to work on that :)
I hate the snow and cold…stay in and watch survivor :)

Empty Nut Jar: I’m so glad you found my blog! I’m so sorry to hear about your health issues. I can only imagine all the pain and emotions you’re going through. I give you credit for being positive; I know how hard it is! What you said is so true–you don’t know what you have till it’s gone. I know I certainly took walking around for granted.

11 Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie { 02.11.10 at 11:16 pm }

We are not covered in snow.. but we are drowning in rain water… it has been raining all week on and off.. but today it has been raining non stop since 4 AM… our yard is flooded (we live in the flat land TX).

I look forward to a good butt kicking spin class.

12 Jeff''s Online Money Making Experience { 02.17.10 at 1:53 pm }

No snow where I am. In fact, I haven’t experienced snow ever.

No gyms for me either. I do regular push ups, jog once in a while, play soccer and am currently playing for a team in a basketball league. I’ve tried barre3, ever heard of it?