Project Push-Up: There’s an App For That

Tarzan does push-upsphoto by darin barry
Tarzan does push-ups, too.

Of course by now you’re wondering how my Project Push-up is going. Do I have massive guns? Do I look like Madonna or Jillian Michaels?

Um, no. But I have realized I can do more than one regular push-up per night. And that, my friends, is success.

In the process of finding my inner Navy Seal, I came across a great iPhone app that plans a day’s program based on your lack of skill. It’s called Hundred Pushups, which to me is maybe a little too optimistic, but whatever. You start by dropping and doing as many push-ups you can in a row. In case you want to laugh were wondering: 3.

Moving on… You then click for Today’s program, which then asks you to do your first set. That’s three. Rest for a minute. Drop for four. Minute break. Do two. Break. Three. Break. Four.

While I think a minute break is a little long between sets (especially with the piddly amount of work I’m doing), I do like the way the reps are broken up into manageable chunks. Because instead of quitting at three I did 16.

As I continue with the plan, I’ll keep you updated on how I do. The Man has even downloaded the app and is following his own program.

Though I wouldn’t say I enjoy the push-ups, I can say it’s more fun when I’m following my electronic guide. It’s also more exciting considering I’d like to write a post about the day I break 20. Or 10.

Is there any exercise you dread doing? How do you get around to doing it—or do you avoid overall?

1 Jill { 01.12.10 at 6:42 pm }

That’s fantastic! I’m going to get that app too!

2 katie { 01.12.10 at 10:23 pm }

oh snap!! i HATE burpees..but do em anyway!

Those are torturous. Good for you for doing them.

3 FoodFitnessFreshair { 01.13.10 at 5:00 pm }

I actually dread pushups, but I do them anyways because I like being able to work my arms by just using my own body. I would love to do 100. People that can do that many make them look so easy! I struggle with 15, and every single one hurts!

You know, they really do make it look so easy. Even people who do one-handers make it seem effortless.

4 Will Ditterline { 01.14.10 at 6:01 pm }

My wife and I play “the game”. Every other day we draw three cards for each other. First is pushups, second is sit-ups and third is squats. The value of the card is the number of sets of ten we have to do that day. Also, we give our selves all day and don’t let the ourselves go to sleep until they’re done.

The game is changing as we’re getting better at it – every card under 5 is doubled; starting next week we move to sets of 15; aces are 1 0r 11 based on a formula I won’t go into here and jokers are whatever the other person makes them up to ten. We both hate squats, but now when we get stuck with ten sets of them, we know that at least someday soon the cards might be more merciful….

Will, that’s such an original idea. I love it. I may just have to steal your game and play it with The Man. Of course, I wouldn’t get all fancy with the doubling of cards under 5. Baby steps. Thaks for the tip!