Try This, Avoid That

lemon____by_marshmallowslove-d33pl1s_largesource

It’s finally Friday. My life kind of revolves around Friday. I measure each day based on its distance from Friday. So the start of the week is 5 Days From Friday, the day after that is 4 Days From Friday, and so on. (I hear there’s another way to count the days.)

So yesterday I mentioned showing you an excerpt from the story I’m working on and some of you said that, yes, you’d like to see that. For the time being, I’ll direct you to my writing blog, where I posted my characters’ first kiss.

Let’s move on to today’s post.

TRY THIS

probioticssource

I used to scoff at probiotics, back when they were only in yogurt. And I am still apprehensive about those, but not the probiotic pills.

I started taking probiotics a few years ago, when The Man was a pharmaceutical rep and a product of his was Align. It helped reduce stomach aches and digestive problems. My sister, who has worse stomach problems than anyone else I know, says it helps her with the pain. And a study of Align found that its particular bacteria reduced problems related to irritable bowel syndrome.

When I started taking antibiotics, I swallowed six probiotic pills a day. I eventually switched to Pearls because going through an entire pack of Align in a day was a bit too expensive.

I find both brands help with digestive issues. Here’s the thing: Just because one brand works for you doesn’t mean all probiotics will. And just because one brand works for me doesn’t mean it will work for you. There are different strains, different species, different preparations.

And about those probiotic yogurts. The amount of live cultures in them aren’t nearly enough to do much or anything. And scientists aren’t sure bacteria cultures can even live in that environment while holding on to their beneficial properties.

That’s not to say they don’t work for some people. (Cough. Jamie Lee Curtis. Cough, cough.) But they may not work for people with serious stomach issues.

AVOID THAT

dsc_0042-2_140536416_largesource

I know experts advise people who have a hard time meeting the eight-glasses-a-day rule to drink lemon water. And I’ll admit, it’s really good. For a while there, I was drinking more than eight glasses a day—all with a generous squeeze of lemon.

But then my dentist told me she was watching three spots in my teeth that might be cavities. Since I’ve had a million* cavities but floss daily, I asked if I was doing something wrong.

Turns out, it may be from the lemon water. The acid in the water stays on your teeth and eats away the enamel. Since I wasn’t about to swish with regular water every time I had a sip of lemon water, I quit it. (It was a messy breakup and I don’t even want to talk about it because if I do I know I’ll be tempted to drink it. And I don’t want to ride that rollercoaster romance anymore.)

Anyone else addicted to citrus water like I was? And what are your thoughts on probiotics? Do you take them?

*Maybe a little less. I do not, as implied, have the mouth of a shark.

1 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 04.22.11 at 7:36 am }

I’ve never really thought about probiotic pills, I’ve always just eaten yogurt :)

Well if it works for you then it’s a good solution!

2 Suzy { 04.22.11 at 7:42 am }

I guess I’ve been in the dark and didn’t even know there were pills. But I’m not a yogurt fan, so maybe I should try them!
I’m a fan of lemon water. For a nice change…I go for cucumber water from time to time. It’s nice and refreshing. Just grab a pitcher and put some cut up cuces in the bottom and let it sit in the fridge for a day or so. If you like cucumbers that is.

I love cucumber water, though I only drink it at a spa. I should really make that at home. Thanks for the reminder!

Suzy Reply:

The spa is EXACTLY where I’ve had it…but somehow making it at home doesn’t yield the same relaxation. Hrmm..

Yeah, I’m starting to think the relaxation comes from the massage and not the cucumber water…

3 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 04.22.11 at 8:14 am }

That is a good point about lemon water I never thought about! Seriously… why don’t more people mention this?

That lemon industry weilds too much power. ;)

4 Heather C { 04.22.11 at 9:54 am }

I second Suzy on the cucumber water. It seems weird but is really refreshing. One spa I went to once had water with cucumber and melon in it which was good and also water with strawberries, also good.

You know, I love cucumber water but didn’t think of that for some reason. But cucumber melon sounds even better. (And reminds me of this Bath & Body Works lotion I used to love.) Strawberries sounds good, but too expensive. :) Have you ever tried watermelon in your water? So good.

5 Maren { 04.22.11 at 10:09 am }

hmm that’s interesting!! I tooooootally love cucumber water. A little dramatic? Yea, but it’s awesome. I HATE HATE HATE lemon water. Also pretty dramatic, but I always have to make sure they don’t put one on the side of my water at restaurants because a) they are the dirtiest thing in the restaurant and b) I think they taste like butt. Man I’m feeling a little dramatic today, sorry about that.

Oh and no, I don’t take probiotics either, but I’ve heard good things!

Oh yeah, I hate lemons in my drink at restaurants. Ick.

6 Carly { 04.22.11 at 11:04 am }

I loathe lemon water. If a restaurant brings me water with lemon in it already (not just on side of glass), I send it back.

P.S. is today not a stat there? We get today off paid!

Yeah, restaurant lemons are kind of iffy, and not just because they can be soggy.

Wait, you’re off today? Jealous!

7 Leslie { 04.22.11 at 11:50 pm }

That cucumber water sounds SO good. And probiotics are expensive. Still, I’m with you: pills over yogurt. Finally, for your teeth, do you have sealants? They can’t fix cavities, but they do offer a barrier.

Yup, my teeth are sealed. Weird, right?

Leslie Reply:

Oh, wow. The cavities are weird. :(

8 Nicole, RD { 04.23.11 at 8:18 am }

Interesting. I’ve never done much research on probiotics, honestly. I never thought those TINY cups of Activia could help that much, but my GI tract seems to be fairly A-okay. Gallbladder issues aside, I guess.

And thank you for the lemon/citrus water heads up. I do drink quite a bit, especially in summer. I HATE the dentist, especially when shots and drilling and fillings are involved.

I don’t mind it. I love the way my teeth feel super clean afterward. :)

9 Kat { 04.23.11 at 4:39 pm }

I don’t do the probiotics, but I’m deadly fascinated by the fact that lemon water could be undermining The Cause. I mean, I rarely drink it but I just feel so much more glamourous when I do!

And it’s definitely more refreshing.

10 Ameena { 04.24.11 at 12:41 am }

Probiotics have really helped me but I went from Align to a version by Ultimate Flora (15 bil). It’s expensive but they came highly recommended by my homeopath and they’ve worked wonders on my stomach…

Hm, I’ll have to check that brand out. Thanks for the recommendation, Ameena!

11 Missy { 04.24.11 at 10:57 pm }

Lemon water and apple cider vinegar = HEFTY dental bill (and that is an understatement…)
Dental bills? Me? With my money?
For an award winning smile just see my blog.
How could something so good be so wrong? I even tried with a straw. Boo.

I forgot about cider vinegar. I love that stuff but it’s crazy acidic. Also, I love your smile!