Homemade Miso Soup

Miso Soup

FIRST! I never told you when my Tipu’s Chai giveaway ended, did I? Bad blogger. I’m continuing it through today. So head here if you want to win a bag of chai mix.

A few years ago, I would have scrunched up my nose at miso soup. (In case you’re wondering, it’s not a good look for me.) Even when I started liking vegetarian sushi, I passed on the free miso.

1. It was cloudy.
  2. There were chunks of white blobs floating in it.
  3. Seaweed.
  4. Seriously, what’s with the cloudiness?

Right.

But the more I read about miso and how it’s really just soybeans and how it’s really good for you—healthier than broccoli soup or lobster bisque, can you believe it?—I decided I should probably try the stuff before I proclaimed my supreme hatred. And…

… it was pretty good. OK, I liked it. Alright, I’ve been craving it for the past three weeks.

The Man and I got miso last time we got sushi, but ever since that time I’ve been craving it even more. (I suspect this is what a crack addict feels like. Yet not quite as well groomed.)

In a fit of miso lust, I scoured the Internet for recipes. And then I found this one. Since I’m not a big fan of tofu, I modified it.

Folks, making miso is ridiculously easy. I’d tell you the steps, but you can view them here. It basically involves boiling water, whisking in some miso, and adding your protein or veggies. I used spinach, shiitake mushrooms, red pepper flakes, and soba noodles.

Miso Soup 2

Tip: As pretty as full-length soba noodles are swirling around the bowl, do yourself a favor and break them in half before boiling. Without chopsticks it’s nearly impossible to scoop a full noodle onto a spoon. (Though doing it made The Man and I feel like we were competing in a Minute to Win It challenge.)

Have you ever made miso soup? If so, what do you put in it? I’m looking for good ideas.

1 FoodFitnessFreshair { 12.08.10 at 9:41 am }

Love miso soup! I like to use any of the following: Spinach, or seaweed, tofu, mushrooms, ginger, carrots, scallions, really anything I’m feeling at the moment. When I’m sick, I’ll just drink a glass of plain miso…something my mom would give me when I was little instead of chicken noodle.

Awesome recommendations! Thanks!

2 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 12.08.10 at 9:44 am }

I love miso soup!! Never made it though :)

3 Alex @ IEatAsphalt { 12.08.10 at 9:45 am }

Why have I never tried making miso before? I never eat the seaweed chucks in sushi, the texture creeps me out.

Seaweed grossed me out for a while, too. Actually, aside from the seaweed that wraps the rolls, I only recently tried it.

4 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 12.08.10 at 10:15 am }

I’ve never made it from scratch before. But refuse to go out for sushi without it! I crave it.

As funny as it sounds, it’s also a popular go-to meal for me when I’m not feeling well. It started when my old roomie ran out to pick some up for me when I had the flu a few years ago. Now it’s a rule as soon as my temp goes up.

I could see that. Without anything in it, the broth is soothing.

5 Maren { 12.08.10 at 12:00 pm }

Dang that looks awesome! I have a costco sized container of spinach… I should probably make some miso soup!

Definitely! It’s great for the cold weather.

6 Nichole { 12.08.10 at 1:14 pm }

Miso soupy m-miso soupy, mi soup you long time. That’s all I got, bc I’m not a fan, lol. Plenty of my friends are! :)

7 Alina @ DutyFree Foodie { 12.08.10 at 2:10 pm }

I’ve never made it, but the best one I ever had just had green onion in it. The broth itself was amazing and it didn’t really need additions.

Any time I’ve gotten miso soup at a restaurant it has green onions in it, too. Since I hate onions I left that out, but I think it’s a traditional addition.

8 Nicole, RD { 12.08.10 at 4:34 pm }

I don’t THINK I’ve had miso, but I know it’s super healthy and popular. Is miso just the broth and then you add whatever to it? I think it looks great!

Miso is actually a soybean paste that you whisk into the hot water to make the broth base. Then you add whatever fillings you like. It’s super easy.

9 Yum Yucky { 12.08.10 at 5:41 pm }

It looks so good. I could use summa that right now. I’m feeling sickly and needs me some soupy stuff.

Aw, sorry. I’d send you some if I didn’t eat it all the other night. Whoops. Feel better.

10 Heather (Heather's Dish) { 12.08.10 at 6:20 pm }

i’ve never made it, but i sure do LOVE eating it! this sounds perfect for dinner this weekend after skiing :)

11 Tweets that mention Homemade Miso Soup — i'm (not) superhuman -- Topsy.com { 12.08.10 at 7:05 pm }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tracey Neithercott, Tracey Neithercott. Tracey Neithercott said: Perfect for a day like today: homemade miso soup. http://bit.ly/exxeYs [...]

12 Wei-Wei { 12.09.10 at 5:24 am }

Love love LOVE miso soup. Last night we had oden (a clear japanese soup with dashi, and then there are rounds of radish, knots of seaweed, hard-boiled eggs, and konjac) with knots of FRESHLY PACKAGED (as opposed to dried and then reconstituted) seaweed in it. It was honestly so tender but not falling apart, it was delicious.

Mmm. I’m hungry. :(

I’ve never heard of oden, but it sounds good! And freshly packaged seaweed does not exist where I live, I’m sure!

13 charlotte { 12.09.10 at 11:51 am }

Miso soup is my fave!! My husband says it tastes like “feet water” – don’t ask me what that means but suffice it to say he won’t touch the stuff. Thanks for the recipe tho – I know what I’m having for lunch today! (Bonus about miso: it never goes bad and only gets better with age! Yay for fermented bacterial soup!)