Airing My Grievances

Girls are annoyingphoto by ooki_op
Yeah, kid, they are kinda annoying.

If you were to ask The Man for one of my faults, he’d tell you I get annoyed too easily. Yeah, I kind of can’t take other drivers when they’re on the same road as me (especially not Virginia or Maryland drivers who are so slooow; I miss my fast Mass. drivers) or waiting in pointlessly long lines or public nose picking. Annoying.

On that note, here are a few more things that get me riled up.

Onionphoto by darwin bell

It’s annoying when … I tell people I dislike onions and garlic and they look at me like I have 32 eyeballs planted firmly in my forehead. Guess what? We all hate things. I don’t call you crazy for hating beets or fennel, now do I? No.

I don’t play 20 questions with you because I can’t for the life of me understand how one does not enjoy raw zucchini. (Are you sure you’ve really tried raw zucchini? What about in a salad? How about now?) I’m not sure how disliking onions is worse than disliking any other food on the planet, I just know it is. And that my friends is annoying.

Picklesphoto by bitzcelt

It’s annoying when … I order a Veggie Delite at Subway with tons of pickles and the woman behind the counter gives me four. Four. In what universe is four equal to a ton? Here’s what usually happens:

ME: Um, can I have more. Like, a lot.
Woman adds three more pickes.

ME: Can I have, like, a handful.
Woman adds five.

ME: Like—a huge amount. A pile.
Woman looks at me like I’m asking her to layer my sandwich with golden coins.

ME: I mean, I’m just getting four veggies on this sandwich. Not even all the veggies Not even spread.
Woman adds two more pickles.

ME: Pretend you’re adding onions.
Woman grabs a clump of pickles.

Toilet Paperphoto by macaron*macaron

It’s annoying when … the toilet paper rolls under instead of over. I know, I know. Big deal, Trace, you say. Fine, maybe I’m being nitpicky. But housekeeping prefers it over for a reason: When rolled under, the toilet paper hits the wall. It more easily hits the floor. And, really, do you want to imagine what else hits those areas during a flush?

Old Carphoto by danilo prates
This will be my new ride when the state of Virginia bleeds me dry.

It’s annoying when … the state of Virginia charges you $400 every nine months just to own a car. That’s right, today I got my awesome “Welcome to Virginia” note. It also mentioned that my $400 bill included a $500 tax credit. I can’t wait to see how much the next bill will be when the credit is removed. Silly me, I thought buying the car made it my own.

What drives you nuts? Oh, and any other state have a huge You-Dared-To-Own-A-Car tax?

In not-at-all-annoying news, the final week of my big beauty giveaway continues. Remember, you have three opportunities to enter per day. So go here and do that thang.

1 keila { 08.26.10 at 7:52 am }

Oh, I hate the toilet paper thing, too! I also hate it when hubby or kids sets the new roll of toilet paper on top of the empty cardboard tube. Are you kidding me? It’s right there, just change it!!! Sorry, I got a little mad just typing that.
I could go on with all my pet peeves, but I won’t because I try to cultivate a positive immage : )

Well, there’s a reason for that. Men are physically incapable of removing an old roll. I know, weird disability but it’s true of every man I’ve known. I think it’s a gender thing.

2 Amy @ Second City Randomness { 08.26.10 at 8:20 am }

I get a lot of crap for not liking most fruit. People look at me like I’m nuts. And like they’re soooo much healthier than me. “Yes, I make sure I’m getting all my vitamins and such in other things- I eat veggies like it’s going out of style. And I’m pretty sure I’m still just as if not healthier than you. Do fresh strawberries and that apple really make your diet better than mine as you eat them while waiting in the drive thru for a big mac and fries? Really?” It really does seem the people most offended by my non-fruit lifestyle also have a love of the deep-fried. I don’t get it.

Sorry… I could go on for a while on this one… :p

And if we ever went to subway together, you could have my pickles so you wouldn’t have to awkwardly ask for more…

Aw, thanks. It will save me from being on the receiving end of the woman’s laser-beam stares.

3 Alex @ IEatAsphalt { 08.26.10 at 8:39 am }

Thank goodness my apartment complex has parking and I could keep my PA plates is all I can say. Additionally, toilet paper should always be on top and subway, in general, doesn’t understand the concept of veggies sandwiches. If I wanted to eat lettuce I would’ve ordered a salad.
You are nuts for not liking raw zucchini. :)

4 Teri [a foodie stays fit] { 08.26.10 at 8:41 am }

hahahah. This post cracked me up. Especially your play by play attempt to get pickles. :)

5 Emily { 08.26.10 at 8:46 am }

Fun post :) When I tell people I don’t eat nuts, people react the same way – especially because I’m not allergic. I just think they are gross. to each his own!

6 Wei-Wei { 08.26.10 at 8:53 am }

I hate onions unless they’re cooked down to so soft that there is NO crunch left and the sharp flavour and smell has left them. Garlic I don’t mind but I would never eat it raw… the toilet paper thing bothers me,too. Think about when you’re pulling it down and it rubs against the wall! There might be graffiti on that wall! There WILL be germs! I love your pickles thing, too. Lots of sodium makes up for the missing meat in the sandwich ;)

You understand my disdain for “under” toilet paper perfectly.

7 Heather @ Side of Sneakers { 08.26.10 at 9:02 am }

My husband is convinced Virginia is home to the worst drivers in the country. Hahaa. So many things annoy me… like how almost all veggie options at restaurants are composed of cucumbers & tomatoes- my 2 arch enemies ;)

I’ve noticed that too. They must be the cheapest. It’s the same with fruit salad. It always, always has cantaloupe and honeydew, pretty much the only two fruits I hate.

8 Brittany { 08.26.10 at 9:12 am }

I totally agree with the toilet paper thing – I like it over not under. :)

9 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) { 08.26.10 at 9:26 am }

You are too funny! I totally relate to the pickle thing. I’m always like, “add a lot please” and the person puts them one at a time in a little row. It drives me crazy. I always ask for extra onions too, although I know you wouldn’t agree with me there!

Yes! It’s always in a nice, neat row. Like just because four spaced out cover the full length of the bread it makes it OK. *eye roll*

10 Heather C { 08.26.10 at 9:28 am }

We lived in Richmond and I can say that VA drivers are horrible!

Oh and Colorado has a similar ridiculous car tax. Here they base it on the value of your vehicle so if you buy a new, $35,000 car you will pay like $800 a year in tax. When we first moved here, I had a brand new car and when I went to the DMV to get plates and the lady said, “that will be $750″ I about had a heartattack.

As if the DMV couldn’t get any worse … ha ha.

11 Nichole { 08.26.10 at 9:55 am }

PREACH IT! OMG I am in love with this. Laughing, when I shouldn’t be I guess.

I tell people I dislike onions and garlic and they look at me like I have 32 eyeballs planted firmly in my forehead. -> I totally respect your choices, tell that sub maker to suck it.

I thought VA was for lovers, not auto tax robbery?

Apparently VA is for Lovers … of really expensive car taxes.

12 Maren { 08.26.10 at 10:00 am }

hahaha love the pickle story! That is hilarious!!! I live in Omaha, Nebraska and we have a “wheel tax”. Front page of the newspaper today read: “Wheel fee fuels commuter outrage” because people who live outside city limits and commute into Omaha are going to be charged! People are fuming!! But they want people to know it’s a “fee” not a “tax”…whatever. That means Omaha is charging people to use their streets! hahaha annoying.

Oh, sheesh, like calling tax a fee makes it better!

13 Lauren @ She's a Runner { 08.26.10 at 10:26 am }

People think I’m absolutely nuts for some of my food choices (although not all of my “choices” are actually mine…I will literally end up in the hospital if I eat certain things! Why can’t people understand that?? That’s annoying). So I definitely don’t think you are weird for not liking onions. In fact, I know at least 5 other people who despise onions and will not eat anything containing them.
I hate pickles, which you might think is weird…I love home made pickles but the ones in the jar at the store gross me out. But I also love raw zucchini (LOVE) and I get annoyed very easily so maybe I’m not as weird as you think!

14 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana { 08.26.10 at 11:14 am }

This was a really cute post..thanks Tracy :)

I was a vegetarian for 14 years and hated mushrooms and eggplant; people looked at me like I was the stupidest vegetarian to ever live. Whatev people, whatev!

15 Crystal { 08.26.10 at 11:16 am }

Speaking of annoying things at Subway, when I order the veggie delight there is always one person who puts in the toaster oven (I like my bread toasted :) ) Then the person who gets it out is always, “No meat?” “No.” “Are you sure?” (with a quizzical look of course).

Am I sure I don’t want meat? Um, YES. Then they proceed to only give me a couple banana peppers when I, like you, ordered “a lot of banana peppers, please.” But when I say a little bit of mustard, they glob it on.

Oh my goodness, that’s so true! They’re incredibly heavy handed with the spreads. I once was stupid enough to ask for a little bit of honey mustard. Splat.

16 Meg { 08.26.10 at 12:37 pm }

Ok, I can relate to the onion thing. My husband HATES onions and I just want to slap the waitress who looks at him like he just spoke to her in Russian. Sometimes he tells them he’s allergic to them and then they proceed to run down the menu telling him what items “might have come in contact with onions”. Just leave out the onions already!

The Man and I (he also hates onions) run into the same problem. A laundry list of “contaminated” foods. Sigh. Oh, and do you find that when you say “no onions” waiters forget that shallots and green onions count, too?

And now I’ve written a book on my onion troubles. ;)

17 Love My Vitamins { 08.26.10 at 9:32 pm }

HA! I loved the subway anecdote, because I LOVE black olives, and they always out like 3 little things…it’s soooo annoying! I actually love onions and garlic (I add it to like all my meals ;) ) but I respect when others don’t like it, and usually don’t make a big fuss about it, because I can’t stand eggs (ewwww) Thanks for letting everyone vent out (ha!)

18 charlotte { 08.26.10 at 10:59 pm }

Subway drives me nuts . For so many reasons but mainly because they are so stingy with their veggies!!! I mean, how much can extra pickles really cost them? At Subway with a friend the other day, the sandwich maker asked my friend if she wanted lettuce – she said “Yes, iceberg and spinach” And he said – not kidding you – if you want ice you’ll have to get it out of the pop machine. That’s what we’re dealing with. PS> That car tax is INSANE. You should move to Minnesota:)

HA HA … iceberg out of the ice machine. That’s great.

Oh, and I’d seriously consider Minnesota if it weren’t for the ungodly temperatures. :)

19 BIOCHEMISTA { 08.27.10 at 2:40 am }

This post made me laugh!! 1) Because I live in DC and can appreciate your frustration with MD/VA drivers and 2) I went to college in MA (and am from NH) so I’m well aware of “Masshole” drivers :) hehe

20 Nicole { 08.27.10 at 7:02 am }

I’m totally with you on the pickles! They never give enough!

21 Lauren @ Health on the Run { 08.27.10 at 9:49 am }

This post is hilarious! I love the Subway play-by-play, because they do that with EVERYTHING. Sometimes I just want a few extra pieces of lettuce or even a little extra cheese (those veggie subs are pretty unsubstantial) and they ration it out like they’re expecting a vegetable shortage in the near future! I eventually just give up and walk away with my veggie sub that’s mostly bread.

I can also relate to the onions, because I hate them! I hate them raw or cooked or even deep fried. They’re just gross. But every time I tell someone I don’t like onions, they rattle off a list of different foods that have onions in it — “wait…does that mean you don’t like X???”

Anyway, now that I’ve vented, I’m sorry about your car tax. That is just ridiculous!

Wait, so you’re saying you don’t like onion rings? Really? But they’re so good. Are you sure?