News That Makes You Go What?!

Two doses of crazy on this lovely Friday. Just for you.

Here’s a brief description of each. Let’s chat in the comments, mkay?

Toddlers in tiaras
source

Botox for Babies
Well, technically 8-year-olds. Yep, a mother gave her young daughter botox and leg waxes to make her pageant-ready. Because, you know, she had too many wrinkles and garish leg hair. The girl’s response to her transformation? She “looks way better, like, beautiful, pretty, like, all those kinds of nice words.”

Because I’m sure she was none of those things before…

And now for the latest rich-dude-who-wants-to-exploit-women’s-insecurities news:

Drinks with the girlssource

Get Wasted for Your Health
A bar in New York is selling beauty with its cocktails. Apparently you can order antioxidant- and nutrient-infused alcoholic drinks aimed at rejuvenating skin, evening your complexion, and otherwise make you more beautiful (and younger) than when you entered. Er, at least those are the claims. I wonder if the jet set crowd that frequents the place knows that the only thing alcohol will do for their skin is leave it parched and puffy.

But as a dermatologist mentioned in this article, it’s possible the lack of results are masked by beer goggles.

Oh yeah, that’s a big:

Alright, have at it in the comments. What’s your take on these?

1 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 05.13.11 at 7:08 am }

This little girl pageant craze has gone on for a while now… at what point do we get to start seeing tv specials of “where are they now”? I’m really curious as to what happens to the 3-year-old who looks like Dolly Parton… I WANT TO KNOW!

Maren Reply:

I second that!! haha those girls are ridiculous! I would never do that to my child. I also live in the midwest and my whole family would probably disown me if I did.

2 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 05.13.11 at 8:57 am }

That toddlers & tiara stuff creeps me out!!!!!!! Those mom’s are nuts.

3 Alex @ IEatAsphalt { 05.13.11 at 9:39 am }

When I saw the piece on the 8 year old getting botox on GMA I honestly couldn’t believe it. First, its illegal for the mom to administer botox, second the doctor she is getting from needs to have their license revoked for malpractice. There are a ton of psychological consequences, but if the mom does something wrong she could make her daughter blind.

Exactly. Aside from the fact that kids shouldn’t get botox, no one should self-administer it!

4 Kelly { 05.13.11 at 9:56 am }

Those toddlers creep me out! My brother is dating a girl (and has been for 7 years) and she is a total pageant groupie and if they get married and have children she wants them in pageants. My mother says we need to pray for boys.

My mother says we need to pray for boys. <—Ha ha ha.

5 Michelle { 05.13.11 at 10:06 am }

OMG. Yes, these both deserve a SERIOUS “WHAT?” WTF people??

On the funny side — have you seen the clip where Tom Hanks does Toddlers and Tiaras??? SO FREAKIN’ FUNNY.

Oh my goodness, that video was AWESOME!

6 Becca { 05.13.11 at 10:36 am }

The cocktail thing? Aah, sod it. You’re over 21. If you’re silly enough to think that drinking a cocktail is good for you, then that’s your business. I think (hope!) it’s supposed to be light-hearted – like claiming a glass of wine counts as one of your five-a-day. It’s just a marketing gimmick to make people choose Bar A over Bar B; I doubt it’d encourage people to drink any more than they already do.

The pageant thing… Wow. This is a cultural thing that just does not translate across the Atlantic. I try so so so so hard not to judge, but always come back to the same conclusion: “Why the F would you allow your to child compete in something like that?” I don’t care how amazing the prizes are (cars, holidays, college tuition), or what the different rounds entail. The very act of tarting up your child and allowing them to be judged on appearance *at all* distresses me – and that’s before even considering the Botox part.

It makes me want to whisk them all away and let them play with Lego and make mud pies and pretend to be horses at Becca’s Home for Former Pageant Girls.

But hey, I know best. ;)

Well said! The girls need to make mud pies or at least eat an Oreo every now and again. Also, they need adults to tell them they’re good enough after constantly being told their not skinny, pretty, talented, or sexy enough.

7 Carly { 05.13.11 at 11:35 am }

I saw the woman who gives her daughter botox on the view. What gets me about it is she can’t find a doctor who will do it, so she does it herself. Anyone who is told by society as well as a medical professional that it’s wrong, and continues to do it herself, has serious problems. I’m worried how this child will grow up.

As for the drinks, it doesn’t surprise me. I think people will buy anything that helps them justify their drinking habits!

Me too. If she’s willing to risk her child’s life for a pageant by self-administering Botox, what’s next? An at-home rib remover kit?

8 Heather C { 05.13.11 at 12:08 pm }

The botox on a kid is just horrible. Girl’s/women get enough pressure in their lives to conform to certain beauty standards and I don’t get mothers who add to that pressure or bring it into their child’s lives so early. If the child gets botox at 8, where does she go from there and how long until the kid resembles the Catwomen in NYC.

9 Clarissa { 05.13.11 at 12:18 pm }

Botox for babies? Gross. Although I thing pageants are stupid for 382190382 other reasons.

Alcoholic beverages for beauty. Obviously I disagree, but cheers NYC for coming up with another silly trend that unintelligent people will latch on to :)

10 Jess@atasteofconfidence { 05.13.11 at 1:43 pm }

What was that mom thinking??? Geesh!

11 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie { 05.13.11 at 5:46 pm }

The pageant thing is totally crazy and I feel so sorry for that little girl! However, while the drinks-of-youth thing is obviously total BS, I think I use a similar logic when I am more likely to order a screwdriver (orange juice and vodka) over a vodka-and-7-up.

I’m sure I’ve used that logic, too. Like, oh look, wine’s healthy!

12 Missy { 05.14.11 at 10:59 pm }

Reminds me of the Abercrombie padded bathing suits (you heard of that?)

The pageant show on TLC sort of gives me nightmares but I still love to watch it…I watch pop culture like a spectator sport. It’s horrifically hysterical. I laugh. Then I toss and turn.

I hadn’t heard about that padded swimsuit, but it’s insane. It’s true, though, watching it is like watching a train wreck or hurricane.