Grocery IQ

Grocery bag
source

So The Man and I are on this insane schedule where we don’t make it to bed until 1 a.m. It’s not that I’m tired at night—I could go till 3, really—but mornings suck even more than normal.

I’m convinced I would be five times more productive if I woke up at 11 a.m. and went to bed at 3. The most annoying part about it is that I’m most awake between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m.

Thank goodness for weekends.

Anyway, I wanted to share a cool grocery app* with you. As you know, The Man does all of our grocery shopping. The app’s particularly useful to us, but it’d be just as helpful for humans who can function on their own.

It’s called Grocery IQ, and it’s available on the iPhone/iPad and Android** phones. You can add foods to the list as you think of them or you can go online and add them at once.

Grocery aislesource

Why I like it

1. It divides your list into categories (produce, grains, etc.) so you can check all of your items off at once.
  2. You can create multiple lists. For instance, if you get your produce at Whole Foods but dry goods at Trader Joe’s or Costco, you can keep your lists separate.
  3. You can add a quantity and descriptions, like “jar” or “box.”
  4. When you search for an item to add, suggestions automatically pop up.
  5. When you check an item off of your list, it doesn’t disappear forever. The app keeps your purchase history so you can re-add and item with one click.
  6. You can share the list (obviously I share mine with The Man).

Things that sounds cool that I don’t use

1. Apparently you can scan bar codes to automatically add products to your list.
  2. Free coupons—I need to check this out.

Oh, and did I mention it’s free?

How do you organize your grocery list? Or do you use one at all?

*The Man will want me to point out that he found the app, not me. Credit has been given where it’s due.

**I always type this as Andriod. It’s like my fingers are protesting the spelling of droid.

1 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 04.14.11 at 7:10 am }

In college, my normal sleep hours fell between 1:00 – 9:00. It was amazing. And also a habit I had a hard time giving up once I started my current job.

I use pen and paper still (such a stone age technique). But yes- my list is divided by the 3 stores- TJ’s, Target, and grocery store. After countless trips, it seems I’ve learned what’s cheaper at what store. Sad…

You amaze me with your mornings. I’d have a hard time getting up at 5 if you paid me, never mind the gym. So kudos to you.

2 Heather B { 04.14.11 at 9:06 am }

I cannot live without Grocery IQ. Before I found it, I made loads of grocery lists and then promptly left them at home. I always have my phone on me though, so I always have my grocery list. It’s definitely saved me quite a few extra grocery trips.

Remembering the list is the hardest part!

3 Heather C { 04.14.11 at 9:47 am }

I still make a paper list. I make a menu for the week and then make a list for Target, one for Whole Foods and one for the regular grocery store.

Off topic, I finally got a copy of Hunger Games and read it all in like a day. Loved it and now need to get the next one.

I’m SO happy you liked them!! Might as well buy the next two at once. You’ll be done by the weekend. Let me know what you think when you’re finished. :)

4 Nicole, RD { 04.14.11 at 10:00 am }

My new Android and I will be downloading this…now. Thank you, Tracey!

5 Maren { 04.14.11 at 10:05 am }

I definitely need to buy this on my iPhone! This sounds sweet!

6 Carly { 04.14.11 at 10:13 am }

I need to get this ASAP! Going grocery shopping without a list is not possible for me, yet my man hates them and won’t let me spend 5 minutes making one before we leave. This is perfect!

7 Clarissa { 04.14.11 at 10:37 am }

So cool! I love finding new apps. I usually just walk around the store until I find what I want or my mind guides me to the usual items! Although, I use freshdirect.com sometimes and you just order the groceries on a website which keeps things organized. Also – you can pick a recipe and it will add all the ingredients you need to the cart!

Oh that’s really cool about the recipe-to-cart option.

8 Ché @ Knight at the Restaurant { 04.14.11 at 1:24 pm }

THANK you. I’m so tired of feeling guilty when I read people’s blogs and they’re like “I go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 5am ready to take on the day with a rosy, happy smile and love for all humanity” and I’m all “F that” followed by pounding the snooze button.

I guess what I’m trying to say is – it’s refreshing to know(ish) someone else who is productive in the wee hours of the night and enjoys sleeping in ’til double digits.

Me too! And I feel like a slacker. Also, there is nothing rosy about the hours before 9 am.

9 Stephanie { 04.14.11 at 8:42 pm }

I make my grocery lists on Excel and estimate down to the tax. Different spreadsheets for different stores, etc. And I have a column subtract any coupons I have. Then, I transfer to my droid and view it in QuickOffice at the store.

But the sharing thing makes me want that app because sometimes I have to send the husband to the store. And it doesn’t go so well….

Wow, you have such a detailed process. I bet you save a TON compared to most of us.

10 Michelle { 04.14.11 at 11:16 pm }

I want the wake up at 11 and go to sleep at 3am sleep schedule too! Damn society and their getting to work early.

It’s sad, but I’ve had the Grocery IQ app for more than a year and I never use it. Maybe I should revisit?

11 charlotte { 04.16.11 at 12:20 am }

I wish I had an iPhone. All the Gym Buddies have one except for me. Sigh.

It really is the best phone I’ve ever used. :)

12 Katie @ peacebeme { 04.17.11 at 8:00 pm }

I definitely use a grocery list! But it’s not very organized, I just write things down as I think of them and then sweep around the outside of the store, then weave down each aisle and check things off as I go.

My fiance thrives on the same hours you described. Fortunately for him, he works 3pm to 3am 4 days a week. Everyone always thinks it sounds terrible but he loves it. I am more of a morning person. I get up at 7 and go to bed at 10.