From the Garden

Gardensource

Well I’m swamped. Every time I look at the clock I’m amazed at how late is. Like yesterday, when I was working on contacting a million people, typing up notes, and sending follow-up emails. I looked at the clock, figuring it was probably noon and I should eat lunch. Only it was 4 p.m.

And then there are the past three nights. Each night, The Man and I have been sitting on the couch either working or blogging or watching TV, and we notice that it’s midnight.

I don’t know where those hours go. I suspect they’re slipping through my wardrobe and getting stuck in Narnia. Or somewhere like that…

Fantasy landssource

Anyhow, I haven’t been commenting on blogs much, but know that I’m reading. In some instances, reading your blogs has reminded me that it’s 8 p.m. and I should have dinner. I guess I owe you thanks.

So there’s that.

In other news, The Man and I are planning to create a container garden on our balcony. We get partial sunlight in the morning, but in the afternoon and evening it’s as sunny as the beach. Minus the sand. And the waves. And the view of the ocean instead of office buildings. Whatever.

I’m pretty sure our balcony garden will look like this in no time:

Flowerssource

Naturally, I will be beautiful and laze in the sun wearing nothing but a tunic and ankle boots.

Or, yanno, this:

Dead gardensource

We’re planting basil because last year our little plant sprouted into a tree. It was sort of a mutant. I’m thinking we’ll also do parsley, cilantro, and mint—and maybe strawberries.

In the past I’ve planted dill, mint, and rosemary. Dill and I got along great for a while. But in the end, it didn’t work out. Because Dill died.

Strawberriessource

If we grow strawberries, I can guarantee I’ll eat them every day until winter. Of course, that presumes that they’ll actually grow. This thumb is pasty white, not green.

Here’s my question: Has anyone else grown food on their balcony or railing or in the house? What fruits, veggies, or herbs should I try to grow?

1 Stacy { 04.27.11 at 7:08 am }

I grew green leaf lettuce one year in pots on my patio and it did great! Only vegetable I have ever grown. I would love to have a garden, but I’m afraid I’m too lazy! :)

I hadn’t thought of lettuce, but that’s a great idea!

2 Alex @ IEatAsphalt { 04.27.11 at 7:56 am }

Dill is really hard to keep alive, mine just died as well. Try growing baby lettuces with herbs. Small tomato varieties (like roma or cherry) will do well. If you decide to grow strawberries give them their own container, they will take over everything else.
If you want any help just let me know!

I love the idea of baby lettuces. Tomatoes, not so much. Last time I tried that I think I got six. :) But good tip on the strawberries. I might tap you for info, so thanks!

3 Heather B { 04.27.11 at 8:58 am }

Strawberries grow great in pots. I planted them last year in strawberry pots (and regular pots) after ordering the plants from Amazon of all places. They did great until we brought them inside for the winter and the cat ate them. The ones we left outside came back this year as the cat didn’t have a chance to nom them. They’re pretty invasive though, so if you plant them in the ground you have to make sure they don’t take over.

Good think I don’t have a cat. ;)

I love Amazon, so I’ll look for my pots there, too. Thanks for the idea.

4 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 04.27.11 at 9:15 am }

I’ve been talking about wanting to have a mini herb garden for the last 2 years.

My hope is that by talking about it enough, maybe I’ll get the urge to actually do it within the next 2 to 3 years…

Ha ha. Or maybe you’ll win the lottery and you can hire a gardener at your mansion.

5 Carly { 04.27.11 at 9:37 am }

Tomatoes grow really well in pots, you could grow them on your balcony? Also, I have those herbs that grow in pots on my window sill and they do well. I kill everything and they’ve lasted quite a while!
Alternatively, tell the man you need to hire a sexy gardener. That seems like the only logical option.

He he. Something tells me he won’t go for it…

6 Heather C { 04.27.11 at 11:44 am }

I have done basil, thyme and rosemary in a container and all have done well. I also have tried tomatoes several time with no luck but I am a total black thumb. This year, we decided to try a small raised bed garden and have planted 3 kinds of lettuce, snap peas and carrots all of which are starting to sprout. We are going to add some tomatoes and strawberries a bit later. I am excited to possibly have some fresh produce, well, provided I remember to water it all and don’t kill it.

That sounds like a great garden!

7 Kelly { 04.27.11 at 11:52 am }

We have strawberries in our garden! So good! In college…we grew them pots on our apartment balcony and they did okay. They didn’t get as big as the ones in the ground but they were still tasty!

I’d love to have a backyard garden. Warm, fresh strawberries are the best!

8 Clarissa { 04.27.11 at 12:37 pm }

Poor Dill. I would LOVE to grow something outside on my invisible balcony :( I’m sure even if I did have a balcony the city smog would eat whatever I had attempted to plant.

There’s also indoor container gardening. This site has a lot of great stuff on it if you’re really looking to grow something: http://www.yougrowgirl.com

9 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses { 04.27.11 at 7:29 pm }

O wow. That overhanging garden is stunning.

Isn’t it? I can’t tell if it’s a painting or photograph but it doesn’t really matter. I still want it. :)

10 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons { 04.27.11 at 8:53 pm }

I am a certified cilantro killer!!!!!!! =) does that make you feel better?

miss you!

NICE CARROT!

Yes, that actually makes me feel a lot better. :)

11 Lu @ The Orange Spice Kitchen { 04.27.11 at 11:01 pm }

I should garden, but I feel guilty when I kill everything. Except basil. I can grow basil like it’s my business. I can’t wait to see your container garden.

Basil must be really hearty because mine grows like crazy too. Even if I forget to water it for four days. Whoops!

12 Nicole, RD { 04.29.11 at 9:19 am }

Things that climb are always good — squash, zucchini, etc. And I’m sure tomatoes would do well. I’m having a compartment garden on our deck this year. Not happy about it, but I hope it does alright! I’m doing eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes x2, poblanos, and then herbs in our landscaping – ha!

Nothing wrong with herbs in the landscaping! I think that’s a great idea.