3 Things I Learned This Weekend

Saltinessource

Hello, hello.

How was your weekend? Mine was uneventful, though I did pick up three key pieces of information:

1. My feet hate me more than I thought. I went to the doctor’s on Friday, at which time my physician told me my feet look like they have second degree burns.

Yes, MY BODY IS GIVING ME SECOND-DEGREE BURNS.

That was me shouting so as to underscore the absurdity of the matter.

2. The Man’s the best home chef a girl could ask for. When I’m burning, he makes my food and brings it to me. (Yes, it’s nice, but I’d rather not burn than have a man slave.) Anyways, I asked for a goat cheese and bean quesadilla with sprouts and this is what I got:

Quesadilla

Note the tomato slices around the pile of sprouts. Five points for making my lunch look like something I might get at a café.

3. Eating a dairy- and gluten-free vegan diet is almost impossible when you’re nauseous. At least, it’s almost impossible when you’re in the car, plastic bag held to your face because you’re about to throw up any second.

If you’re wondering: I cheated.

So I’m curious what you do when you’re nauseous. The Man says he can’t eat. I need Saltines. What do you reach for—when you’re not reaching for the toilet?

1 Clarissa { 04.18.11 at 9:26 am }

I bet you have some sort of additional immune disorder which is causing your body to attack itself. Sorry to hear it Trace!

As for when I feel sick…Gingerale! And soup – such as Ramen or something. It has sooo much sodium, I know, but it just makes me feel good. And not the fancy kind Ramen with tofu and crap in it. Maruchan Ramen. 33 cents.In brick form.

Also – when I’m “girl” sick chocolate will do :)

When I’m nauseous I crave Ramen, too. I think it’s the saltiness.

2 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons { 04.18.11 at 10:02 am }

Poor thing! I’m glad you have someone that is able to take care of you when your feet are burning up =( Hope you feel better soon!!!!!

When I’m sick i used to reach for gingerale.. now I pray for ginger kombucha… which i’m about to go stock up on tomorrow. Usually I cant eat much more than saltines either

I haven’t tried ginger kombucha, but ginger ale seems to make everything better.

3 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run { 04.18.11 at 10:05 am }

I eat popsicles to stay hydrated, but I usually can’t eat anything solid without it coming right back at me. Sorry to hear you were sick!

Oooh…good choice. Popsicles are my pick for sore throats.

4 Michelle { 04.18.11 at 10:09 am }

When I’m nauseous I mainly just lay in bed in moan. Although, with my 2nd pregnancy that was not option — so I ate french fries. Lots of of french fries. Not the healthiest, but since it was the only thing I was keeping down it didn’t matter at the time!

Taking B6 and half of a unisom helped too, except it made me completely sleepy and zonked.

Hope you feel better!

I crave french fries sometimes while nauseous. I think it’s the grease. Strange, yes.

5 Stacy { 04.18.11 at 10:57 am }

I am also gluten-free, so instead of saltines, I eat Nut Thins or almonds (any kind of nut really) when I’m not feeling well.

I’ll have to look for Nut Thins. I’ve never tried them.

6 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 04.18.11 at 12:44 pm }

I swear by saltines and sprite in such a situation. But that’s just me…

Ever since my blog (and actually a little before it, now that I’m thinking about it), my dad would always do some crazy silly presentation thing… “half the taste is in the presentation” he says.

Aw, that’s so cute of your dad!

7 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie { 04.18.11 at 1:08 pm }

When I am nauseous, water and lemon juice tends to help. It’s a home remedy from my childhood… For you? From Russia with love?

I love water with lemon. I’ll have to try that next time. Thanks!

8 never not dreaming { 04.18.11 at 1:25 pm }

I’ve had a hell of a week. Things have gotten physically too a lowest point ever — I don’t even walk anymore. Sit and lie down basically.
There are actually foods that trigger bad symptoms in me and worsen me…BUT…I eat them anyway…why? Because I’m stubborn and also because when you feel nauseous and have zero energy, you just gotta do what you can…
(I’m not following any restrictions…i refuse to…you are nuts….or smart).

Ah, you and me both.

I’m definitely nuts. It’s yet to be seen whether I’m also a genius. ;)

9 Julie @SavvyEats { 04.18.11 at 8:51 pm }

Sorry about your feet! :(

When I’m feeling nauseated, pretzels or dry cereal are my saviors

Good ideas. I can find a GF cereal to use instead!

10 Carly { 04.18.11 at 9:01 pm }

I have been nauseous every single day for the last 3 months (no I’m not pregnant). I just get lots of fresh air (even if I am in the fetal position outside) and drink lots of water. I also take gravol, yet I fall asleep at my desk.

Aw, Carly, I feel so bad for you! I hope this goes away!!

11 Bick { 04.18.11 at 9:41 pm }

Canada Dry Ginger Ale, a childhood remedy. As was Canada Dry Tom Collins mixer ($$ lemonade, basically) and Campbell’s Beef Soup. Mostly, I think the latter two were what Mom or Dad had at hand. So I stick with ginger ale and a nap if I can snag one.

Ginger ale is the best when you’re sick. Even the thought of it makes me feel better. :)

12 Megan @ MAID in AK { 04.19.11 at 2:33 am }

If I’m sick (like hug-the-porcelain-god-sick), I cheat too. Saltines and ginger ale… nothin’ beats it!

What in the WORLD is up with your feet? That’s crazy!
Feel better soon!

Oh good! At least I’m not the only cheater!

13 Katie @ peacebeme { 04.19.11 at 1:37 pm }

I admire so much your continuous fight to find what works for you with your pain and medical condition…I gave up for awhile because I got so sick of unsympathetic doctors, but I just changed insurance so I am about to get back on the war path.

I agree, being gf and being sick is HARD! I usually eat gf toast with butter. And club soda.

Unsympathetic doctors (or, worse, condescending doctors) can make dealing with chronic pain so much worse.