Peanut Butter Butterscotch Sauteed Bananas

peanut butter butterscotch bananas

Sometimes you just need sugar.

Last night was one of those times. It’s been a busy week, OK?

Melting butter

That would be butter.

Banana slices

And banana slices.

Peanut butter butterscotch

Mix peanut butter with butterscotch sauce. Microwave to warm. (Note: You probably don’t want to use the hard, dry peanut butter from the bottom of the jar, like I did. Your topping will be much smoother.)

Cool fact: Butterscotch combined with peanut butter tastes exactly like a Butterfinger. Minus the stuff that gets stuck in your teeth.

Peanut butter butterscotch bananas 2

This would be sautéed bananas in peanut butter butterscotch sauce.* Seriously.

For the 0.7 seconds it took me to eat this dessert, I was totally stress-free. Not so much now, but what can you expect? It’s a dessert, not a Xanax.

* Please wipe up your drool before you leave here.

How would you use bananas in a healthy(ish) dessert?

1 Wei-Wei { 01.12.11 at 7:19 am }

I JUST DIED.

No! Come back to us!

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey { 01.12.11 at 7:53 am }

That looks so much better than my grilled bananas!!!

I’m not so sure. Your grilled bananas looked really good!

3 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 01.12.11 at 8:38 am }

I will devour anything that tastes like a Butterfinger :)

Me too, which is why I wish I discovered this combination sooner. It would have saved me hours of picking stupid Butterfinger out of my teeth.

4 Amy @ Second City Randomness { 01.12.11 at 9:27 am }

My friend Jaime was bragging yesterday about how they made smoothies last night- using bananas.

I gagged a little. I hate bananas. Although wish I’d be at least somewhat tolerant of them- being as how you can put them in pretty much anything. Grrr…

That’s OK. I still like you despite your banana hatred.

5 Heather C { 01.12.11 at 10:35 am }

Yum! My favorite semi healthy banana dessert is to take a banana, split it lengthwise, brush it with melted butter, sprinkle on some cinnamon and brown sugar and then put it on a piece of foil. Put it under the broiler for like 3 minutes and then top with greek yogurt or frozen yogurt and a few chocolate chips. It tastes like bananas foster without all the butter.

Oh my goodness, Heather. That sounds awesome!

6 Lu { 01.12.11 at 12:02 pm }

You’re my hero. Holy yum! I also want to make the mix you had on the blog yesterday. Recipe?

Oh, that’s so so easy. Nuts + a little olive oil + salt + pepper. You could add some cayenne if you want but it was good with just salt and pepper. We just toasted them in a skillet (because we were short on time and antsy) but I’ve also done it in the oven, which makes the chickpeas a bit crispier.

7 keila { 01.12.11 at 12:19 pm }

Oh. My. God. That looks so gooooood! I love bananas. My fav. is to freeze one for about an hour, slice it up, lightly drizzle w/ chocolate syrup, sprinkle w/ toasted walnuts. About 250 calories. It sure ain’t no butterfinger though. . .

Mmmmmm….that sounds good, too.

8 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) { 01.12.11 at 12:26 pm }

hee hee you were calm for the moment it passed your lips. I get that :-)

I love me a banana straight from the freezer with peanut butter on it.

I think The Man would love that. Me, I need more sugar. :)

9 Ashley @ 365things { 01.12.11 at 12:32 pm }

O.M.Geeee *wiping drool off* I like using bananas in my muffins. And by “my muffins” I mean store purchased, chocolate chip Martha white muffin mix…lol. Makes em so much better!

Chocolate chip banana baked goods–muffins, bread, whatever–are crazy good. Totally agree!

10 Tweets that mention Peanut Butter Butterscotch Sauteed Bananas — i'm (not) superhuman -- Topsy.com { 01.12.11 at 1:11 pm }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Share It Fitness. Share It Fitness said: Definitely want to try this! Thanks. RT @NotSuperhuman Healthy "butterfinger" banana dessert. Holy yum. http://t.co/FoB7brY [...]

11 Lisa @Thrive Style { 01.12.11 at 4:07 pm }

Ok, that looks and sounds amazing. I would have never thought of that combo, but I want it.
The only thing I usually do with bananas is chop them up with pieces of apple and sprinkle cinnamon on it. Not too exciting, but sometimes hits the sugar fix.

I like that, too. Of course, it’s not as sugary as this version. But it’s also much healthier. :)

12 Sagan { 01.12.11 at 4:34 pm }

Definitely wiping up the drool. Yum!

I like banana smeared with PB2, or homemade apple banana bread, or frozen bananas mixed with cocoa powder in the food processor (chocolate “ice cream”!), or bananas mixed in oatmeal with chocolate protein powder and cinnamon.

I add bananas into a LOT of dessert-style meals… the funny thing is, I’m not a big fan of bananas by themselves.

I’m so sad I don’t own a food processor because I’d really like to make the chocolate “ice cream” you just described. Mmm.

13 Ashley @ the fit academic { 01.12.11 at 9:57 pm }

I love frozen bananas thrown in the food processor until smooth – just like banana fro yo!

14 Leanne { 01.12.11 at 10:12 pm }

Nothing wrong with a treat every once in awhile, sounds like you needed it! These look SO good I’m going downstairs and making an adaptation (allergic to peanuts) for a snack :)

Oh I’m sure it’d be good with other nut butters, too.

15 charlotte { 01.13.11 at 4:24 pm }

“Sometimes you just need sugar.” Will you please be my best friend?? Also, I will eat anything if you put butterscotch on it. Dog poop, maybe not. But anything else!

OK, definitely not dog poop. I’m not that desperate for butterscotch. (And I’d just get my fix elsewhere…)