Foot Stickers

Foot Stickers

I have two bananas left and some butterscotch sauce, but only the very bottom of a jar of peanut butter. As I mentioned yesterday, using the crumbly peanut butter makes for a lumpy “butterfinger” sauce. So here’s the deal:

You bring the peanut butter, I supply the rest. I’ll even make butterfinger bananas for you. Deal?

Deal.

So, remember how I told you The Man got an iPad? Remember I said it’s like his second wife that he loves just a little bit more than his first wife and that he takes everywhere with him? Well, one day I stole it and was browsing it because, frankly, it’s awesome. And also I wanted to check out Project magazine, which is the first iPhone-only magazine.

(Side note: As a magazine writer I wanted to check out how they’re transferred to an electronic version. I thought Popular Science did a great job and then I saw Project. Holy interactive, Batman. That magazine is crazy cool and probably requires 2 gazillion employees to produce, including photographers and videographers and tech geniuses whose titles I can’t even name because I have no idea what kind of person is able to do things like make video appear within a pop-out to an article.)

Anyhow, I was browsing the magazine when I came across this:

Foot Stickers 2

It’s still in the concept stage, but that, dear readers, is a Dutch product designer’s answer to the barefoot running craze. The foot stickers aim to cover the most sensitive parts of the foot without changing a person’s gait. (No word at this stage how they’ll stick on or hold up to something like, say, trail running.)

Foot Stickers 3

What that means: You can run, hike, and do whatever else you want barefoot without getting cuts, scrapes or—if you live in a city—tetanus.* Some of the designs have some traction, so I imagine they’d be a good way to solve the sweaty-feet-on-slippery-yoga-mat problem.

As for the connection to Nike? As far as I can tell, the designer created these as an “independent graduation product” for Nike Europe, whatever that means. Bottom line: No, you cannot buy these**, but it’s cool to think where the barefoot trend may be headed.

You know I wouldn’t wear them (oh feet, how I love thee) but would any of you?

* On second thought, your chances of getting tetanus while wearing these in the city are equivalent to your chances of getting tetanus from jumping in the Hudson.

** But for fun, lets see how many skimmers*** are ready to purchase.

*** No offense, skimmers. Im busy, too. But you skim, you lose today.

1 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 01.13.11 at 7:17 am }

Um… I don’t think I’ll be wearing these anytime soon. I like my shoes :)

2 FoodFitnessFreshair { 01.13.11 at 9:54 am }

If they were to ever be put on the market, I’d probably give them a try. But like you say, how in the world would they stick? And would they really give much protection? Doubtful.

Yeah, I’m not sure how much protection they’d be. Unless you really don’t hit any other points of your foot while running. I see them as more useful for yoga to prevent slipping and sliding.

3 Amy @ Second City Randomness { 01.13.11 at 10:05 am }

I’m still not very into the barefoot running thing. I like my comfy shoes. And my feet are ugly. So I’d rather not show them off…

I’m sure you’re exaggerating about your ugly feet.

4 megabrooke { 01.13.11 at 10:18 am }

i would actually try them out maybe, as im into the idea of barefoot running. first i’d go with those silly looking vibrams though, and then maybe, graduate to these puppies. running the streets of boston barefoot? eh, not so much. but at least these offer a spec more protection than nothing!

Yeah city streets barefoot make me worried. I can’t imagine the junk you might step on.

5 Ashley @ 365things { 01.13.11 at 10:56 am }

No way! My feet need the support that shoes give. I had to buy Brooks shoes as it is because my new balance just wasn’t enough support. Plus there is NO protection on those stickers, so I just know I’d step on a large, sharp rock or something right in the middle of that sensitive area of the foot!!

Before I burned, I always bought shoes with lots of support, too. My favorites were Asics for their higher arches for overpronators. I always wondered how people without normal arches were able to run barefoot.

6 Nicole, RD { 01.13.11 at 12:05 pm }

Boo to skimmers!

Maybe it’s because my feet are pancakes and those stickers would give me tetanus, but the whole barefoot/rubber web running soles just make me hurt thinking about it. I like shoes. Thinking about what is on a dialysis clinic’s floor makes me want to vomit!

Ew. I don’t want to think about the stuff on a dialysis clinic’s floor.

7 Evan Thomas { 01.13.11 at 2:13 pm }

I would not buy these even if they were really heading to store shelves. I love vibrams, but this is a whole other step down. And my feet would get cold.

Yeah, they don’t do much for winter running outdoors!

8 Katie @ peacebeme { 01.13.11 at 2:17 pm }

Does it hurt to wear shoes for you? Or certain things? I can’t wear any shoes hardly, it’s so annoying. I just walk everywhere I can in my socks!

Yeah, I can’t wear socks or shoes anymore. I just stick with flip-flops. (And get a lot of strange looks!)

9 Lu { 01.13.11 at 5:54 pm }

Is it totally lame that I want these just so I can say I have them? Now about the bananas…

Ha ha you sound like The Man. He wants every tech gadget, I’m sure, just to say he has them.

10 Tweets that mention Foot Stickers — i'm (not) superhuman -- Topsy.com { 01.14.11 at 5:52 am }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tracey Neithercott, Tracey Neithercott. Tracey Neithercott said: Is this the future of barefoot running? http://t.co/Gq3IYBt [...]

11 Rufus { 01.14.11 at 9:36 am }

I’m with Lu and The Man, I’ll beat up my feet for the sake of an experiment.

I hated, HATED running until I found vibrams. Yeah, they’re kind of fugly but I have a knee injury from my ultimate frisbee daze…um, days…that always got ‘talkative’ when I ran. Vibrams? No issue whatsoever. Only probably is they are either slightly too big and my heel feels like it’s swimming around or they’re a little too tight and my little piggies feel abused. I deal with the heel thing but I am intrigued by something that would protect my feet sans distracting shifting and rubbing.

So barefoot running didn’t make your knee pain worse? I always wondered how that worked. I’ve read studied that said it’s actually better on your joints, but I’d never heard of anyone with knee pain actually trying. Good to know!