Chai This

DSC_0042B

It’s Monday!

Does that make anyone else severely depressed? I feel like screaming, “I NEED ONE MORE DAY!!” Two exclamation points. That’s how strongly I feel about it.

The good news: I felt much better this weekend than I have in weeks. I actually helped The Man put away laundry and tidy up the house, which is a huge improvement from me sitting on the couch for six hours while my feet burned.

So what if I feel loopy 87 percent of the time. I think being a space cadet is worth it. (I’ll just pretend I’m blonde.*)

In other news: I made a homemade iced chai tea. It rocked.

I think I’ve made my love for tea pretty clear. (In case you missed it, I did a huge post about tea. I would call it awesome if I didn’t overuse that word. Oh heck, it’s awesome.)

However, I’m not a huge fan of hot chai. Something about the spices in warm water gives me a headache. No joke. I do like iced chai, though. I don’t drink it often. But The Man? The Man would live off iced chai if I let him. (I don’t, because that’s not a well-rounded diet, you know.) When Tipu’s sent me a pack of free instant chai mix, I knew the best taste tester would be The Man.

Tipu’s chai is sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan, made without chemicals or preservatives, and comes from organic tea and spices. Whew.

DSC_0038

First, I heated up the milk. I microwaved it but the patient among you can do it on the stovetop if you want. Next, I whisked in the packet of chai. I only had a little sleeve of it, so I used the whole thing. I think if you’re using the full-size bag you’ll do a tablespoon or two. (I suggest reading the instructions.)

DSC_0042

I set this in the fridge to cool, then poured it into a tall glass with ice. The stuff is unsweetened, so add your own sweetener. I added stevia, which worked well. DO NOT try to drink this without sweetener unless you’re crazy hard core. Trust me on that, OK?

DSC_0041

Yes, we do own a plastic Starbucks cup. Don’t judge until you’ve experienced how convenient it is. And also, it doesn’t sweat.

The Man loved it. It’s heavy on the spices (more so than any chai I’ve ever tasted) and almost peppery. Of course, it’s not the same as having a barista mix up a batch in a cup that has your name on it (!!!). But then again, there aren’t many experiences like seeing your name in black marker.

Next time, we’re totally making this chai-tini. Holy yum.

Anyone else a chai fan? How do you drink it: hot, cold, with milk, or straight up?

Oh, and if you do like chai, Tipu’s is having a holiday sale from Dec. 6 to 12, where everything is 15 percent off.

*Just kidding, blondes out there. Seeing as that was a low blow, go ahead and make an Italian joke.

1 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 12.06.10 at 8:58 am }

I love chai tea! Can’t wait to try this!

2 Amy B @ Second City Randomness { 12.06.10 at 10:56 am }

Nothing wrong with being a little loopy… that’s generally how I lead my life naturally (sad but true).

Ha ha. That made me smile.

3 Heather C { 12.06.10 at 11:11 am }

I love chai and the spicier the better, but only hot. Of course, I have never tried it iced but it still seems wrong somehow.

Glad you had a good weekend even if there was some loopiness. Oh, and as a natural blonde, I was glad to see your disclaimer at the bottom. I always attest it is the dyed blondes that are dumb, all those chemicals to the brain or something.

Then you’d like this. It’s super spicy.

4 Heather @ Side of Sneakers { 12.06.10 at 11:24 am }

Glad you were feeling a little better this weekend!! I LOVE chai- I can never seem to make a decent version at home though. And I totally have that cup. I love it.

The Man brings the cup with him everywhere. It’s like his grown-up kiddie blanket.

5 Scott { 12.06.10 at 12:00 pm }

So not a chai fan. People have pushed chai tea latte’s on me and I just can stomach them. Dislike.

To each his own!

6 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers { 12.06.10 at 12:06 pm }

chai tea is one of my all-time favorites! yours looks amazing. something about it just seems to lend itself to the holidays & that cozy feeling.

I’m not saying much, but there may be a chai tea giveaway here very soon. But you didn’t hear it from me. Mkay?

7 Nicole, RD { 12.06.10 at 12:31 pm }

Haha, no offense taken. Blondes get used to it!

I looove Chai! But I think I love the plastic (Starbucks) glasses with the straw and screw top lid even more. I have a knock off from TJ Maxx (classy, I know) that I got for $4 and today is the first time that I’ve actually drank water at my desk. On refil #2 and that’s unheard of for me! And my cubes are still going strong, too!

8 Nichole { 12.06.10 at 1:06 pm }

I love, love me some chai. This is great, thank you!

And I have been dying to get a Starbucks mega cup, and it is almost Christmas.

Do it. It’s so worth it. Or, ya know, put it on your Christmas list.

9 LizLivingVegan { 12.06.10 at 5:22 pm }

Hahaha a chai-tini! I love the idea. My friend/neighbor makes amazing chai. It’s sooo good! I’ve never tried making it though. Looks good!

10 Alex @ IEatAsphalt { 12.06.10 at 6:21 pm }

I love chai. I never make it well from tea bags which is kind of upsetting. The mixes are always a winner.

11 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) { 12.06.10 at 9:24 pm }

LOVE LOVE LOVE Chai. Hot, cold. any time. Sooo glad you are feeling better. I think loopy isn’t always a bad thing. I kinda enjoyed it when my back was hurting last week :-)

Oooh, back pain is no fun. I’d take loopy over that! :)

12 Nicole { 12.06.10 at 10:08 pm }

I totally have that very same Starbucks cup… totally convenient! :)

13 charlotte { 12.07.10 at 12:40 am }

Hmmm… being LDS I don’t drink tea for religious reasons so I have never actually tasted Chai. I think I may be the only healthy living blogger to say that, lol. Your pics make it look yummy though!

That was me five months ago. (Minus the LDS part, naturally.) The Man of all people got me into it.

14 Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) { 12.07.10 at 8:21 am }

I’ve never made chai tea, but you can bet I will now!

I am beyond surprised you have never blended it into a chair protein smoothie. Enter my contest, and if you win, create that please.