The Secret to Green Cleaning on the Cheap

Basic H2 Organic Super Cleaning Concentrate

While we’re on the subject of cleaning, may I direct your attention to the bestest (don’t doubt that word) green cleaning product of life? Shaklee’s Basic H2 Organic Super Cleaning Concentrate. I discovered this over a year ago when I was sick of spending boatloads of money on chemical-free cleaners* that I went through faster than chocolate chips. (For real.)

I bought the concentrate and three bottles—one for general cleaning, one for windows, and one for tough grease. Varying amounts of the concentrated liquid gets mixed with water in each bottle, 1 1/2 for the degreaser, 1/4 teaspoon for general cleaning, and only two drops for window cleaning.

I’ll tell you what:

It works.

It lasts. Forever.

As in I still have more than half the bottle of the concentrate left after more than a year. And I clean a lot.

Sorry, I don’t sell Shaklee**, though I’d like to meet someone who does. I just bought mine from the Web site. You should, too.

Do it now. I’ll wait. Go ahead.

Welcome back. You’ll be glad you got them. And now you can save your money for fun things, like new jeans. Or shoes. Or both.

Have you ever tried Shaklee cleaning products? Do you use green cleaners?

*I’m not all-green when it comes to cleaning. I still clean my counters with antibacterial spray after I’ve cut up raw chicken. It’s the germaphobe in me.

**And no, nosy FCC, I didn’t get this for free. I used my hard-earned cash on this sucker.

1 Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) { 06.09.10 at 7:48 am }

I don’t clean with green products. GASP!

But I plan to start. I had an eye opener last week when I spilled a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner on the carpet and it literally ate a hole in my carpet before my eyes. FREAKED ME OUT!

2 Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly { 06.09.10 at 9:05 am }

Oh awesome! I do try to do green cleaners. It just makes me feel better…anything I can do to help reduce my carbon footprint makes me feel better no matter how small!

3 eatmovelove { 06.09.10 at 9:50 am }

….I actually tried a “Greenworks” bathroom cleaner the other day…smells nicer ;) …and it was on sale…

4 Wei-Wei { 06.09.10 at 11:55 am }

I don’t know where to get green cleaners in China :( But I think that concentrates are so darn awesome. It makes me feel really nice to see that I’ve only used a tiny bit of a bottle and I bought it like a year ago. :D

Wei-Wei

5 Nichole { 06.09.10 at 2:23 pm }

I tried Greenworks too, I will admit I am biased and have a feeling like green cleaner wouldn’t do as good of a job for some reason. I trust your opinion, that’s for sure! Wow, impressed:) I love things that last forever, makes it worth spending more.

6 Sarah { 06.09.10 at 7:58 pm }

Ah, the FCC – LOL. We use some green cleaners at our house (windows and general) but also non-green for the glass topped stove (it came with the house), mildew in the shower (lysol), hardwood floors and polishing the “silver.” Given my allergy history we really should switch to all green though, so thanks for the Shakelee’s recomendation.

My allergies made me go green in the first place. I’d get too congested using chemical cleaners.

7 Diane Fit to the Finish { 06.09.10 at 11:31 pm }

I have had some Shaklee products before but haven’t tried this! Sounds great. We use green cleaners but not in the kitchen because I’m kinda a germ-a-phobe!

8 Alex @ IEatAsphalt { 06.11.10 at 7:02 pm }

Where did you find the Shaklee products? I’ve been buying Method and Seventh Gen for years, but you are right about going through them really quickly.

I got them right from the website. Super easy.

9 Brisbane { 06.20.10 at 8:57 pm }

You might be interested to know that vinegar and water is just as good of an antibacterial as bleach and other commercial antibacterial sprays. It’s also completely non-toxic and safe for the environment. Try it!