Rest & Relaxation. And Wine, Of Course.

Vineyard JV

Well that was needed. After the back-to-back headaches last week (capped off with a whopper of a mind strangler), this three-day weekend was very, very necessary. I feel like a new woman.

Here’s my weekend in a nutshell: Rest. Relaxation. Wine. And no computer for me. My eyes and brain were grateful for the break.

The Man and I headed south to Charlottesville, Va., where we toured wineries, shopped around, and took about five gazillion pictures of the wide expanses of green. (Something we don’t see much of at home.) Even threats of thunderstorms and overcast skies couldn’t stop us.

It went down like this:

JV_VineyardFirst stop, Jefferson Vineyards. Thomas Jefferson, its namesake, tried growing wines here way back in 1774, but he wasn’t that successful and gave up when the Revolutionary War started.

Tracey at JVThings started out misty, muggy and on the verge of rain. When you’re on a mission, you don’t care.

Wines at JVInside we tasted a bunch of wines.

Barrels of WineWine grows in barrels, dontcha know?

Barrel and BenchNext up, Blenheim Vineyards. Old wine barrels = benches.

Blenheim Inside

Dave Matthews owns this building and designed the whole thing. Pretty darn cool, even if you’re not a Dave Matthews fan.

And then…

Field and FenceThe sun comes out.

Tall trees

And we drive on to Kluge, which has picnic tables nestled in trees this high.

Feet UpI put my feet up. Ahh.

Kluge WineA flight of wines to taste.

Kluge CheesePlus cheese. Bliss.

Field by KlugeWhen you’re used to living in the city—or a stone’s throw from it—you get a rush seeing this.

Tracey PointingAnd when The Man looks away, you tell him to pay more attention to the scenery.

Twisted Tree

Better.

And that’s part of my weekend. I think I see your eyes sagging by now, so I’ll stop. Twist my arm will ya? (No, really don’t. At the rate I’m getting injured this past month, I’ll probably get tennis elbow.)

On the schedule next: How we got home. To prevent you all from avoiding me tomorrow, I’ll give you a clue. It’s not 95 North.

In honor of this weekend trip, answer this: What’s your favorite long-weekend spot within three hours of your home?

1 Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) { 06.01.10 at 7:30 am }

What a wonderful getaway! I’m glad your headache finally went away…but did it come back with all of that wine tasting? ;-)

My favorite 3 (or 4) hour getaway from home? Kansas City. Not exactly for historical or cultural benefits, but for the shopping!

You’d think it would, but I was headache free. Just goes to show you sometimes it’s all about stress, tension, and too much computer time!

2 FoodFitnessFreshair { 06.01.10 at 8:08 am }

I was in Charlottesville this weekend too! I was staying at a place just outside of Charlottesville, but we passed through it and made a stop at the Whole Foods. Wine tasting sounds like it was definitely fun!

Aw, too bad we didn’t cross paths. Next time you’re there, skip the Whole Foods and stop at Feast. Just as expensive but cool local food and awesome sandwiches on homemade bread. The Man and I split turkey, brie and cranberry and chicken, cheddar, fig and mustard. Heavenly.

3 Estela @ Weekly Bite { 06.01.10 at 8:42 am }

So glad you had a relaxing weekend!!

North Carolina’s Outer Banks is so much fun! I love laying on the beach :)

4 Jill@MySoCalledHealthLife { 06.01.10 at 8:47 am }

Is there anything more relaxing than wine?! The answer is no :-)

What I wonderful trip! There is really nowhere relaxing close to me, ha damn u Missouri! But I do live close enough (3.5 hours) to St. Louis if I want to make a weekend out of it :-)

5 Heather C { 06.01.10 at 9:09 am }

What a fun and relaxing looking weekend. I love pastoral Virginia (well, except for all the critters and bugs). For nearby relaxation, we head up to the mountains. If it is just for the day we will hit the Silver Dollar lakes trail or for the weekend I love Vail or Bachelor Gulch. Both are piney woods, clean smelling air, bubbling streams and Vail has this whole European vibe going on. I take on breath of that mountain air and instantly uncoil.

6 Ameena { 06.01.10 at 9:14 am }

I”d have to say Santa Barbara but I can only handle it for a day before I start getting bored. 3 hours isn’t enough time to get anywhere in LA. We can barely get to work in that time frame.

Virginia looks beautiful! I’ve been there a few times but its been a while.

Guess what? I might be coming to DC next month with Maya. Not sure if you are interested in a meet up? It’ll probably be the middle of July?

7 Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly { 06.01.10 at 9:34 am }

How fun! That looks wonderful! I love to go to Wimberley, Texas. It is a SMALL town that has lots of cute antique shops, wineries, bed and breakfasts and outdoor markets. It is about 45 minutes from my house and it so much fun!

8 Wei-Wei { 06.01.10 at 10:49 am }

Wine! So sophisticated. I don’t know how to appreciate wine (yet) but I hope to refine my palate when it is legal for me to do so! I dream of becoming a food/wine snob, with delicate, refined, tastebuds, spewing out words like fruity, woody, charred, smokey, delicate, anise-flavoured, and BACON FLAVOURED. Maybe not that last one. Bacon = smokey, salty, burnt, umami.

Now that’s yum. And nothing to do with your post. I hope you had a great weekend! :)

Wei-Wei

It took me until 24 to really enjoy wine. And still, I can’t taste all of the notes we’re supposed to taste in a glass. One wine was described as leathery, but thankfully I didn’t taste that.

9 Nicole, RD { 06.01.10 at 10:59 am }

What GORGEOUS pictures!! I am a city girl, too…but after living in a more rural area, I have to say…I am a fan. I love the open skies and gorgeous scenery of nature. I’m a sap, I know! I have to say, winery visits are one of my favorite things to do close to home. Though, St. Louis is the best place to winery hop…you can ride a bike from one to the next. And I don’t believe they can give you a DUI while on a bike on country roads :)

10 emptynut { 06.01.10 at 11:33 am }

cheese and wine…sounds good to me.
u look so pretty.

11 gio { 06.01.10 at 12:06 pm }

Hey looks like a great weekend. We had our trip to the big city!

12 Samantha @ Food Edu { 06.01.10 at 12:14 pm }

Beautiful weekend! I went up to San Francisco, but my favorite place within 3 hours is California’s Central Coast!

13 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers { 06.01.10 at 12:56 pm }

sounds like an amazing weekend! i had beer – but no wine… i could use some wine. ;)

14 Lauren @ She's a Runner { 06.01.10 at 1:30 pm }

What a beautiful getaway! I love going out of town for a weekend, there are quite a few places to go in Ontario so I’m lucky (in the summer at least…in the winter there’s just no point because it’s too cold). I kind of like going to Niagara on the lake, they have winery tours there too. And its a really pretty area. Niagara Falls is okay too, but a little TOO touristy for my liking.

15 Amber @ Pampered Recipes { 06.01.10 at 1:33 pm }

Love the open skies and gorgeous scenery of nature. I have to say, winery are awesome…they are just too far away from me :(

16 Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks { 06.03.10 at 11:35 am }

You probably know this, but Dave Matthews Band started in Charlottesville. My step mom used to go see them when they were play gigs at the local bars.

Fave weekender: go camping and climbing every weekend in the Bighorns up here in Wyoming. ~2 hour drive. no cell service and just get to pretend like there isn’t a real world to return to!