So, My Left Foot Hates Me

Feet outside tubphoto by emanuela franchini
Searching for foot photos was possibly the most disturbing thing I’ve done all day. Fetishist I am not.

Yesterday, The Man’s heart sent him a nice but stern letter. I understand that the heart’s the heart, and everything about it is all lovey-dovey. But you know what? My body could learn a thing or two from it. Case in point, the nasty letter I received from my foot a couple weeks ago:

Dear Girl Up There,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

See ya,
Your Left Foot

Naturally, I had to respond to find out what was so funny. And here’s the letter I received today:

Dear Girl Up There,

I was just laughing at how pathetic you are. So pathetic. Righty here was telling me about the Achilles tendonitis he gave you a few months ago. How’s that rehab going for you? Bwahahaha. I guess you’ve noticed, but I’ve decided to hurt you, too. What? You think only Knees want to be featured on your blog? That they’re the only body part that deserves to be coddled and fawned over day in and day out? You think I’ll just put myself up on a chair and let you get away with that? Ha! You’re even dumber than I thought!

No way, lady. From now on, I deserve attention, too. So I see your knee pain and Achilles tendonitis and I raise you plantar fasciitis. Take that! See how you like it when your arch aches and your heel feels bruised.

I hope your suffering teaches you to appreciate me. Don’t ever take me for granted again.

See ya,
Your Left Foot

So, yeah, that about sums it up. And the podiatrist confirmed today: My left foot has plantar fasciitis. As soon as she flexed my foot and saw the bulging tendon, she knew the cause. She thinks I got it from building up my scrawny calf muscles. The result was tightening of the Achilles tendon and tension in the plantar fasciitis. Sweet. So now in addition to physical therapy for my knees and Achilles tendonitis in my right foot, I’ll be doing exercises for this. I might be at the gym for two hours a day.

Don’t tell my left foot, but there’s some good news. I have a very mild case of plantar fasciitis. (I don’t even feel extra pain when I step out of bed in the morning, a telltale sign of plantar fasciitis.) So, um, yay for positives!

Anyone else had this injury? How long was your recovery? Anyone else have a body that loves getting injured? If not, how do you prevent?

1 Wei-Wei { 05.19.10 at 8:05 am }

I find it ironic that the comments section says “kick things off”.

I don’t usually get injured because I don’t partake in very violent/strenuous exercise. :P No pain, no gain I guess! I hope your foot gets better soon. And it should stop ranting at you, you do step on its face about every 2 seconds, after all.

Wei-Wei–You’d think I took part in violent/strenuous activities the way my body treats me! But, no. Not at all.

You do have a good point. I do step on its face daily. Ha!

2 Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) { 05.19.10 at 8:20 am }

ACK! I’m sorry about your injury, my friend. I wish I had advice, but my feet haven’t turned on me yet…my shoulder screams at me from time to time but that’s another story.

3 FoodFitnessFreshair { 05.19.10 at 8:21 am }

Oh no! All parts of the body definitely want the most attention! I used to get different injuries injuries all the time when I was running really heavily…with that being said, I’ve stopped running all the time, and my body is thanking me.

Food Fitness Freshair–Yeah, plantar fasciitis is common in runners. So is knee pain. Hm, I’m like a runner who doesn’t run. I think I got the short stick.

4 Holly { 05.19.10 at 8:46 am }

Oh my gosh – I am so sorry about your PF. I’ve never had it, but my sister has, and it did take awhile to get over (but hers was a VERY bad case). I know she said the boot her doctor gave her to sleep in really helped?

My body LOVES to get injured, but nothing like your knee pain you are experiencing. Don’tcha wonder how certain people go, like, their whole lives without anything? Not even an ankle sprain? :-)

Holly–I secretly hate those people. Not really. OK kinda. ;)

5 Samantha { 05.19.10 at 12:43 pm }

The Man needs to learn foot massage. Sounds like a wonderful thing for him to do for you while watching TV!

Samantha–That is a great idea.

6 Mom { 05.19.10 at 4:01 pm }

Why is the Mom the last to know!

Haha. Because the daughter was tired!

7 Bekah { 05.19.10 at 5:03 pm }

First, I loved your post. Obviously not because you are in pain but just the way you communicated it….so entertaining. I feel your pain, I did have an episode with plantar fasciitis a year ago and it is no fun! I actually used some PT and chiropractic but then I discovered A.R.T (active release technique). After about 2 months of different degrees of pain which finally stopped me from running for a month, A.R.T had me running again in just 2 weeks. But even better than that I saw a noticable difference in just one treatment in just being able to walk like a normal person again instead of being in constant pain. Hope you get better fast!

8 Sarah { 05.19.10 at 5:30 pm }

Get those feet reflexology and a pedicure STAT before they go further awry – better yet get a massage and fend off all (ok, most) body parts! My husband has plantar fasciitis and has had it for over a year now. He has to wear a boot at night that holds the foot in some stretchy position – sexy – and has orthotics (not the custom ones, just the ones you buy at shoe stores) in all of his shoes. His recovery, or lack thereof, is not typical though as he refuses to rest and still runs 4-6 miles every day (he is bar none the dumbest smart person I know).

9 Nicole, RD { 05.19.10 at 5:53 pm }

I giggled at the letters, but that is soooo not cool. Sorry, Tracey :(

10 Diane Fit to the Finish { 05.19.10 at 7:45 pm }

I have had this before and it was a mild case. It went away with some extended rest. In the meantime I swam which made me happy.

So sorry you are having so much trouble. :(

11 Alex @ IEatAsphalt { 05.19.10 at 9:46 pm }

I promise plantar fasciitis is totally curable. You might have to do super-dorky exercises, but you will be 100% soon! I broke my ankle when I was 15 and have always had some weird issues since then. Thankfully, I only had to do the soft cast for 2 months and a brace after. My legs have endured quite the abuse over the years. Good luck with your PT!

12 Nicole { 05.20.10 at 7:10 am }

I’m in physical therapy for a knee injury, but — thank goodness — the injury is showing signs of improvement. I hope your foot feels better soon! Injuries are absolutely no fun… Loved the way you posted about it though. Creative as always!

13 Heather C { 05.20.10 at 9:05 am }

Sorry about the new injury. If it makes you feel any better, know that I will be here in Colorado doing a ridiculous amount of pt every morning with you. I’ve decided the body is a funny thing, or at least, mine seems to think it is hilarious. I went and got my knees checked out and was dx’d with runner’s knee, which I find absurd because I ran marathons for years, with no knee problems, quit running a year ago because of a back injury and now, when I am power walking queen, I have runner’s knee? Huh? Hope the planter fascitis clears up easily.

14 marie { 05.20.10 at 9:44 am }

GAH. I have the same thing, so I totally feel for you. I ran a half marathon May 8 and when I woke up the next morning my right heel was in AGONY. I could hardly walk. I am seeing a podiatrist Monday but in the meantime I’ve been taking NSAIDS, icing, and rolling it out with a foot massage stick (although a soup can works just as well).

My aunt and uncle are both pretty elite runners and wear custom orthotics; they very enthusiastically encouraged me to do the same. I know they’re expensive but it’ll be worth the $$ it they allow me to keep running. Good luck!

Sorry for writing a novel on your blog here… ;-)

15 Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks { 05.21.10 at 10:56 am }

Dang, your left foot is one vindictive, cranky dude! I ran a half last year and my foot was painful for about a month afterwards, although no doctor could put there finger on the exact cause. I’m running the 8.5 mile portion of a team marathon, so hopefully that won’t result in anything to disastrous to my climbing obsession!

Good luck with the PF!

Lindsey–If you think that’s cranky, wait till you hear my knees. Total grouches.

16 Katie@peacebem { 05.21.10 at 9:33 pm }

Hi there. I don’t even know what to say. I love following your blog because I can relate to so many things.

I wouldn’t say I am prone to injuries so much as I am prone to pinched nerves all over (I guess kind of an injury). They are still trying to figure out what’s going on with all my nerve pain. The most debilitating is in my ankles, but when I started getting symptoms in my wrists and below my elbows, I felt like you. At first freaked out, and then kind of thankful that I knew better how to deal with it the second time. My heart goes out to you and hang in there!

17 Dr. Michael Weber { 05.29.10 at 4:46 pm }

In 2002 I discovered Active Release Techniques, ART, a medically patented technique developed by Dr. Michael Leahy. I was amazed at the ART treatment I personally received which immediately resolved my chronic shoulder, knee, and ankle problems that had responded minimally to other types of care. ART, a medically patented technique used to treat soft tissue areas of the body, such as scar tissue, adhesions, nerve entrapments, myofasciitis, and other conditions involving the muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves, can help with conditions ranging from chronic migraine headaches, back, neck, and shoulder pain, knee problems, plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, sciatica, etc… These conditions and many more can often be resolved quickly and permanently with ART.

This is the second time I’ve heard about ART in a week. I think it’s something I need to look into. I’d love to get rid of this plantar fasciitis sooner rather than later!

18 http://monkeyink.com/ink/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=233992 { 03.27.12 at 6:17 am }

Business is a combination of war and sport. …

hey there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this website, as I experienced to reload the website a lot of times previous to I could get it to load …