Overrated, Underrated. Or, 8 Things I’d Like to Change

The other day, when I was at a restaurant and deciding whether or not to skip dessert, I had a revelation: I’m oddly opinionated about meaningless things. I have strong opinions about things that matter, too, but that’s normal. My feelings toward nonissues are a bit stranger.

In honor of that realization, I give you five things that are totally overrated. And three that deserve a little more credit.

Overrated: Ice cream
I know I’m not the only person who doesn’t like ice cream. (No, really, I married the other person.) I can’t understand why someone would eat this over cake, cookies, pie, tarts, pastries…

Ice cream cone
photo by kern.justin

Overrated: Deli meat
Aside from the fact that this doesn’t resemble meat in any way, I can’t take the slimy, wet texture. That’s why I’m the freak who orders a turkey sandwich at Panera then removes the meat to make a veggie ’wich. And yes I know I pay way too much money for some bread, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and cheese. In my defense, it comes with chips.

Deli Meat
photo by jen waller

Overrated: Onions
This really deserves its own post, but I won’t do it because I fear hate mail. I still can’t figure out the reason onions are the go-to veggie for 99.9 percent of all dishes. It’s oddly hard to order off a menu when you hate onions. (In case you’re wondering, The Man is the other person in the world who hates them. Onions and ice cream? I knew right then that we were meant to be.)

Onions
photo by darwin bell

Overrated: High heels
There was a long stretch of time when I only wore heels. That ended when my knee stopped working, but it got me thinking. Why is wearing heels worth future foot pain? And what makes them so wonderful that we’ll risk bunions and hammertoes to wear them? I’ll admit legs look better in heels. But every day?

High heels
photo by markusram

Overrated: Skinny jeans
I like the way skinny jeans look but here’s something no one thought about: knee room. I put on a pair and my knees felt claustrophobic. When bent, they actually hurt. There’s a price I’ll pay for fashion, but pants-induced knee pain is not it.

Skinny Jeans
photo by meredithlikesphotography

Underrated: Popcorn at the movies
I know how many calories are in your average tub of popcorn, but I firmly believe there’s a time to say, “To hell with it.” A movie is not a movie without popcorn. Period.

Popcornphoto by wahlander

Underrated: Peanut butter and jelly
I get grief every time I bring peanut butter and jelly in to work, like I stole a 7-year-old’s lunch. (That, by the way, would be a convenient way to ensure I don’t go hungry without actually having to make my own meal. Just sayin’.) What’s wrong with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every once in a while? Nothing. That’s what. So please leave the poor pb&j lovers alone.

Peanut butter and jelly
photo by keaggy.com

Underrated: Air
Once upon a time I breathed in and took oxygen into my lungs. Recently I’ve been getting a lot of nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide, arsenic, acetone, and formaldehyde with it. Where I live, fresh air is really underrated. Apparently management is still working on that.

Fresh air
photo by chroma project

What are your personal over- and underrated picks?

1 Nicole { 05.14.10 at 7:18 am }

Ha, ha. LOVE peanut butter sandwiches and will be having one for lunch today. I agree, they’re totally underrated!

Nicole–Glad to hear someone else brings them for lunch!

2 Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly { 05.14.10 at 8:26 am }

I totally agree with skinny jeans…I think they are totally overrated! But honey…onions…really?!?! I love them!!

Kelly–I know, I know. I’m a freak. But I stand firm in my hatred.

3 FoodFitnessFreshair { 05.14.10 at 8:28 am }

Onions and skinny jeans!? Onions particularly aren’t on my overrated list haha. But, deli meat definitely is, and probably high heels too. And air, love that one!

4 Wei-Wei { 05.14.10 at 8:37 am }

Ice cream. I don’t understand it, either. I don’t like cream in the first place, so why freeze it? And onions. Don’t get me started on how much I hate raw onions. (But cooked down and caramelized with some soy sauce and mirin, and I’ll happily eat it all.)

I’m addicted to skinny jeans, though. But I do admit that they’re overrated. I’m wearing a pair right now, and only when you said it did I notice how stiflingly tight they are. *goes to change into shorts* Ahh, much better. As I was saying, nobody at my high school wears wide leg jeans. Maybe I should do it more often, with higher-heeled shoes and a tighter top. I really like that look.

Oh, and one more thing: That teddy bear deli meat. WTF?!?!?!

5 Wei-Wei { 05.14.10 at 8:38 am }

Oh, and forgot about the PB+J: it’s love. LOVE, encased in a sandwich. Period.

Wei-Wei–Whoops! Didn’t mean to make you notice your pants were tight at the knees! Great, just like me to bring someone else into my weird clothing paranoia state. :)

6 Tweets that mention Overrated, Underrated. Or, 8 Things I’d Like to Change — i'm (not) superhuman -- Topsy.com { 05.14.10 at 8:50 am }

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tracey Neithercott. Tracey Neithercott said: Some things are just so overrated: http://bit.ly/8ZAQ7s [...]

7 kate { 05.14.10 at 9:28 am }

I think skinny jeans are completely overrated!

8 keila { 05.14.10 at 9:28 am }

Was that seriously bologna shaped like a teddy bear?!? I think I just threw up a little bit.

Keila–I can’t confirm or deny the bologna teddy bear. It’s meat and that’s all I know. I’m not even sure about that. I’m happy to report this came from Flickr and not my grocery store.

9 Holly { 05.14.10 at 9:55 am }

Oh, how I wish I felt the same about ice cream! I just love a good blizzard or cone sometimes. But DEFINITELY agree about PB&J – it rocks. And probably like $0.50 to make.

Okay…some people might hate me for this, but I think Dave Matthews is overrated. Went to a concert once and he only played about 5 songs, each approximately 20 minutes long. Dude, you can jam on the guitar – I get it. But I want to hear some singing, too!

10 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers { 05.14.10 at 10:50 am }

for all the love given to ice cream i STILL think it’s UNderrated. :) i LOVE that stuff!

as for what i think is overrated… i’d have to say larabars. they’re okay but to me they’re not as flippin’ fantastic as everyone seems to think they are.

Julie–Dare I say that all bars are overrated? Don’t get me wrong, I like them (especially this AmazingGrass bar) but they don’t compare to real food for me.

11 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers { 05.14.10 at 10:50 am }

OH MY GOSH HOLLY! I just read her comment & TOTALLY agree. I LOVE Dave Matthews – but when I went to his concert I felt like I was listening to elevator music.

12 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self { 05.14.10 at 10:55 am }

Fun post! I definitely agree that high heels are overrated and peanut butter and jelly is underrated. I also think dried plums (aka prunes) are seriously underrated…they are not nearly as disgusting as everyone says!

Katie–I agree 100 percent on the dried plums. I love them!

13 Maris (In Good Taste) { 05.14.10 at 10:57 am }

Oh no. Skinny jeans – yes. Ice cream – no. And that is no coincidence that I feel that way :)

14 Hilary@coffeeismycarrot { 05.14.10 at 11:03 am }

I’m going to second the icecream. It’s not that I don’t like it, but I would never choose it over other sweets. I also think that PB&Js are perfectly acceptable for adults and way under-rated past elementary school. The popcorn (not a fan), onions (huge fan) and skinny jeans (love) I’m going to have to disagree on.

I seem to have really strong opinions about the small stuff, too. Why do all sanwiches and burgers seem to automatically come with mayo? I always have to ask even if it isn’t listed because never fails, the food arrives with that disgusting thick, white goo all over it.

Hilary–I purposefully didn’t put mayo on there because I’ve made my mayo-hating ways well known here. But I completely agree. I hate it. And I hate that it comes on stuff even when it’s not listed on the menu. Which is why I always ask then, just in case, say “OK, but no mayo.”

15 Elina { 05.14.10 at 11:13 am }

Good stuff here. I like ice cream but I agree that most of the time I’d rather have a cookie or a brownie. Brownie a la mode is another story. Mmm.
Onions – I am SOOOO with you. I can’t stand them and I hate that they are in practically everything, and chefs are ok with not listing them as an ingredient. I feel so obnoxious when I dine out but oh well. :)
PS – you should just order the turkey sandwich and ask them not to add the turkey… they may even bulk it up with the other stuff :D

Elina–It makes me so happy to hear from another onion hater. Really. I’m smiling. :)

16 Samantha @ Food Edu { 05.14.10 at 11:40 am }

Deli meat–that’s funny. Have you seen how that stuff is made? All emulsified like cake batter–it grosses me out a little too! Some people think its no different than mixing up cake batter and then eating cake, but I beg to differ.

17 theemptynutjar { 05.14.10 at 4:01 pm }

ice cream = good :)
skinny jeans are over-rated
and pb and j on sandwiches is underrated
totally

i like this – might do it on my blog sometime

18 Wren { 05.14.10 at 5:24 pm }

I thnk skinny jeans are overrated, too, but I’m biased. See, you have to BE skinny to wear them. I suppose I could TRY to wear them anyway, but I don’t really want to subject the world at large to the result. I’m with you on ice cream (don’t hate it, just don’t go out of my way to have it), onions (raw ones; cooked and disguised). And I love PB&J, anytime. I’ve made a good ol’ PB&J sammich my breakfast, lunch and dinner at various times …
I-My idea of overrated? Almost ALL reality shows. Bleh.

19 stef { 05.15.10 at 1:19 am }

agree with some of these, but i LOVE my ice cream :)

20 Diane Fit to the Finish { 05.15.10 at 2:50 pm }

I definitely agree with the skinny jeans! My two teenage daughters are sticks, and they can pull them off but me? No way!!

21 Ameena { 05.15.10 at 3:07 pm }

This is a great post…so great in fact that I may steal the idea one of these days.

Skinny jeans, ice cream, high heels, and deli meat are all overrated. But I have to say that I think popcorn is overrated too! I can’t stand the smell of it in the movie theater.

I think living in LA is overrated as is being a mother. And a wife. Underrated…being single and rich and skinny.

22 Nicole, RD { 05.15.10 at 9:16 pm }

I looove onions!!! Crazy girl! You and Biz are the 2 people I know that don’t like onions! I’m not so big on ice cream…but SOFT SERVE! Swooon! I had some last night :) And based on that luncheon meat picture you posted, I don’t think anyone would disagree that that’s NASTY! I’m not a lunch meat fan, either…but I’ll do Panera meat!

Coffee is under-rated. My creamy coffee is worth every calorie! Over-rated: wraps. Tortillas are SO DRY…no thanks.

23 Lauren @ OneDayataTime { 05.15.10 at 10:48 pm }

I agree with most of these, except for onions (caramelized onions are amazing, just sayin) and popcorn because I’m just not a fan.
I like heels, but definitely not every day. I’m really short and I appreciate the extra height, but I don’t appreciate the sore feet and/or blisters.

I don’t want to pick on anyone here, but I think that The Hills is overrated. Okay, why stop there…I think it is sickening and it kind of makes me want to scream. I can’t bear to watch it.

24 Fit Chick in the City { 05.16.10 at 7:04 pm }

I couldn’t agree more with you about the deli meat. That photo is disgusting!

25 charlotte { 05.17.10 at 3:29 pm }

Wow – I have to disagree with you on every.single.item (except deli meat – ewww!). I mucho heart ice cream. WAY better than cake. I guess we can’t get married now! Sigh.

Charlotte–Darn, and we had everything else going for us. ;)

26 Gracie @ Girl Meets Health { 05.17.10 at 8:44 pm }

LOVE this post! I could go on and on about what I think is overrated. Underrated is more difficult for me! But off the bat…

Overrated: water ice, cardio, Sex in the City
Underrated: CATS!!

Gracie–Hm, I’d have to argue vs. cats. For me, they’re overrated. And so is their allergy-inducing dander.

27 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) { 05.19.10 at 9:22 am }

I disagree with the ice cream, because I love it and miss it terribly (can´t get it where I live.) But am right with you on everything else. I have actually gone to movies before just to get a big tub of popcorn. I wish I was joking but… I am not. and I eat PB&J multiple times per week. With a banana thrown in there, it is bomb. Skinny jeans should disappear forever.