Cold Feet Fix: Super Warm Socks

Eddie Bauer Socks

photo by eddie bauer

I have cold feet. All the time. No, really. Little-known fact about me: I have Raynaud’s disease, a condition that makes my fingers and toes get all cold and numb in response to temperature or stress.

The small arteries that bring blood to the skin narrow and limit circulation. So, yeah, my fingers and toes turn purple then white when the temps drop below something like 70. And then the fun starts: Once they start to warm up, the blood rushes to my digits and they burn like I’ve been holding them under hot water for 10 minutes.

As you can probably imagine, it’s my mission to keep my extremities—especially my feet—warm in all climes, but especially during the brutal winter. Last week, when I was shopping in a real mall for the first time in ages, I found the perfect socks at Eddie Bauer.

And when I say perfect, I mean they’re made for mountain climbing. Don’t judge. My new most favorite thing is super comfortable (read: no itchy wool), has weaving at the arch for extra support, wicks moisture, and keeps odor at bay. Oh, and did I mention that they’re super warm? Well they are. Which means I haven’t had to hold my toes under scalding water this week.

Oh, and here’s a disclaimer for you: Eddie Bauer didn’t send these sock to me for free. They didn’t pay me for this post. But, Eddie, if you’re out there, feel free to send me some. Feel free to pay me. Just sayin’.

You don’t have to have a feet-freezing disorder to need a comfy, warm pair of socks. It’s winter people. So if you need to do some toe warming, check ’em out.

Do you have any favorite winter weather wear?

1 katie { 01.07.10 at 8:51 pm }

i have some northface furry boots that I LOVE!!!! and some northface snowboarding pants-so warm!

I love The North Face, too! My fleece is probably the most-used piece of outerwear I own. It even gets use during the summer. Sad, I know. But, hey, air conditioning is cold.

2 Ameena { 01.08.10 at 12:24 pm }

Your post was really funny…I have cold hands all the time not feet!! Winter wear…here in Los Angeles, I’m not sure if there is such a thing. But I bought the most amazing pink coat in Vancouver and when the temp here gets remotely chilly I pull out my pink coat!

Ameena, I guess when you live in sunny LA getting to wear a new coat is exciting. Here, it’s more like this: Ugh. Don’t make me! Why can’t it be 70 all the time. ;)

3 FoodFitnessFreshair { 01.08.10 at 1:08 pm }

ahahah, I love your shoutout to Eddie Bauer…hopefully they’ll check you out!

4 gio { 01.10.10 at 9:21 pm }

hey my wife has the same sox! loves them.

They’re so cushy and comfortable, too!

5 Astrid { 04.20.10 at 12:55 pm }

My aunt declared to me that I have Reynaud’s disease, too. My fingertips and toes do get numb and white, too, when I am cold or stressed. I always just tell people I have bad circulation, because they look at me quite crazy when they see what my finger tips look like. Really, guys, I’m okay! Just cold!

Astrid–I do get weird looks and made fun of because I’m always cold. That, and because I’m usually holding a hot cup of tea. You do what you’ve gotta do. Glad I’m not alone!

6 Susan hopkins { 11.15.10 at 1:23 pm }

I looked for these socks on the EB website, but didn’t see them. Do they have a name? I have this problem with cold feet. It seems like they sweat and then get even colder. Weird.